High Phosphates

aveda6

Newbie Reef
I noticed during an inspection of my tank tonight that my phosphates are out of control. I have no algae but the levels are off the chart. I'm starting to see an effect on my leather coral. I'm using RODI and plan on doing a partial change as soon as the bucket fills up. I feed every other day using frozen food but perhaps it is too much. Besides a phosban bag is there anything else I should attempt to do to lower the levels?

thank you,
jim

one thing that i did that saved my life with phosphate and many other toxic substanced in the water like nitrate, nitrite ect is i got a refugium. now u dont have to go this far out, mangroves really suck out phosphate in the surrounding water, they sell mangrove boxes, i have one hanging on my tank as well with the ones in my refugium.
also im shure u know this but dont take away all the phosphate at once with like a large water change or with a large mass of phosphate obsorbing chemicals, because then all of the bacteria that is feeding on this phosphate will die off due to the new lack of food, then the problem will just come right back. but if u do it slow everything will have a chance to adjust and nothing in youre aquarium will be shocked. hope this helps you out :)

Kwater...thank you very much. I do have a built-in refugium with Cheato in the back. That was why I was so surprised that the phosphates were elevated. I noticed that my filter was full of "gunk" so that may have been adding to the problem. I double-checked my RODI and it is zero so I should be able to slowly lower the levels. I did a 10% change this evening and will repeat that tomorrow. The poor leather looks very unhealthy...

jim

Expired phos test kits are a good thought... I haven't ever seen a case of high phosphates without corresponding increase in algae growth, but anything is possible. Also, do you have a pic of the leather? Sometimes leathers look weird for a few days-- they shed their outer skins and don't extend their polyps for a little while.

I do NOT have a skimmer and I NOT have a phosban reactor.

I DO have a refugium with cheato and strong light. Do not underestimate the need for a strong plant light on a refugium. Cheatomorphia will suck phosphates out of the water very effectively.

Also, try a 50% water change but make sure the temp, salinity and Ph are equalized exactly. That will get you're phosphates down fast.

The test kit is roughly two months old. The tank itself is a few months old. I did a change in the water and dropped the phosphate quite a bit. I also changed how I am feeding and removed the filter since it was full of debris. I'll post a picture of the coral when I get a chance. I did make a mistake when changing the water so I ended up losing a few items. I didn't have the temp right and it dropped the tank's temp too quickly.

I do have a good light on the refuge so that shouldn't be a problem. I think my main issue was over-feeding.

jim

Okay, I have been finally able to get a picture of the leather....the yellow spots were much worse before lowering the phosphates.

5151223755_5107e86133_z.jpg

aveda6, you may have noticed the paint is scraped away on the back of chamber 2 of your Biocube 29G. This is so that you can mount a strong plant light outside the tank and fill chamber 2 with cheato which will very effectively lower phosphates. After I did this with my tank the phosphates and nitrates dropped to zero.

Sen5241b,

i actually have a very strong LED light and chaeto in that back chamber. I'm hoping that the feeding change will remove some of the extra phosphates...

jim

Back