Highland reef

just waiting on photobucket uploading a video.

my second light fitting arrived this morning , but the parcel was larger than i was expecting and heavier, so i opened it and the company sent me a double light fitting rather than a single . i checked the bill and it showed i bought 1 x single lamp holder ... and the price of £8.99 but someone packed a double fitting worth £24.99 instead lol.

so i now have a spare fitting , i will be buying a Fiji blue bulb which has 3 blues and 2 UV led's.

this is what my tank looks like now i have the main lighting above it , just 2 quick pics. i was not able to get the light adjustment for camera , they are as bright but not washed out on rock work as in pic. still no water obviously lol.
i still have a 100watt heater , MP10 , small external filter , phosphate remover , Hanna phosphate checker , a KH test kit , and a bucket of salt still to get.
and i am not to fussed about the not so great job on the light supports , you dont look at the lighting, its the corals and fish you watch.
But i cant complain the brackets only cost $3 each. and the photography light holders only cost $15 combined

DSCF2811.jpg

DSCF2814.jpg

Last edited:
wont be for some time yet Ted :(.

i am buying all the little bits first all from 1 company , well as much as i can get from them. As the more i buy and the more reviews i leave the more points i get.
at the moment i have £7 ( $10 ) in points , but i could end up with $15 - $20 in points so i can then buy the MP10 :D.

and for some reason i am having problems trying to find a UK store that sells the right Hanna phosphate checker , they seem to only sell the older model and not the Hi736 HC.

cant make out all of the swim through's , caves , overhangs in the pictures . but the fish will have plenty places to hide out .

Last edited:
well it looks great so far....I am just excited and want to see her wet...(that just doesnt sound right...but then in a way it does) :mrgreen:

well after doing half a days reading up on the Hanna it would appear they are not always reliable and many people have had problems with the powders being wrong , the checker crashes or wont switch on etc.

So instead i will be going for the Red Sea MCP kit and the Red Sea phosphate pro kit

i am extremely tempted to go for the Red Sea Reef starter kit..

bucket of Red Sea coral pro salt
Red Sea MCP test kit ( PH , KH , Nitrate , Nitrite , )
Red Sea Reef Mature pro.

Only tempted as it would save me money than buying the kits on there own and then a bucket of salt.

If it saves you money then do it...You need all of it anyway..red sea products are good. At least all of them I have tried...

Well the Red Sea starter kit was ordered and delivered.
so all i am waiting on now is the store to get in MP10's and ordering my self one.

and i can finally start getting her wet and salty ,

i have managed to add more ceramic rock bits , and still keep an open structure for flow .
and i will have to find a cheap refugium , or something that could be converted to one that hangs on back.
I did see a nice little one that hangs inside the tank ( on an American site ) but sadly nothing like that available here in the UK.
i did contact a company that custom makes stuff out of Acrylic but they wanted £285 in my money .
just to make an internal hang on refugium that i seen on the American site.

If you want a hob refugium just look for the biggest hang on back filter you can find. All you really need is a space large enough to put some cheato in and rig a light up for it. I have even seem people convert bak pak II hob skimmers doing that. They take out the bio mass stuff and just insert cheato, There are companies here that sell hob refugiums that are made in China. I ran one of those for a few years on a corner tank and it worked well had a built in skimmer as well. I know a lot of the places here wont ship there but they seem pretty common, someone there has to have them. If they dont....might be a great side business.

Well all being well Tuesday / Wednesday i should be getting a very nice delivery.
I have just ordered my self a Vortech MP10 . so tomorrow ( Monday ) i can start filling up the 3 x 20 Litre water containers ready to start filling the tank when the MP10 arrives and get the water salty.

Last edited:
tell me about it ... i had one delivery worth over $100 go missing a while back. checked the tracking and it said "" signed for at ...... and had the time .
i asked mom if she was playing with me and hid the parcel.

she said no , so i had to call the company up and the woman put me on hold while she called the driver , the driver had delivered it to the wrong street but i was not allowed to get it . and was promised within the hour he would sort it.

fair enough he made a mistake and did correct it but what annoyed me more , was the fact the people at the other address had opened the parcel , opened everything up inside the parcel and had no intentions of bringing it to me .

it was the same driver who delivered the redsea kit to me , when he delivered that he did not look at me at all , just handed the box to me . warned me its heavy and handed me the machine to sign and left lol.

Last edited:
that is what i was getting at , he could not look at me . but as i say the idiots at the other house had every intention in keeping my parcel and had opened it and everything inside.
and i am 99% sure it will be the same company delivering the MP10 so same driver again lol.

Back