Highland reef

picture this evening , but the MP10 arrived.
And i have started filling the tank , which will take a bit of time as it is so cold out side again here in Scotland , and i only have a 50 GPD RO unit.
currently i only have 35 L of water in the tank. that will be an other 20 L added this evening.

ok so i am adding water to the tank , i only have just over 30 L to add roughly.
But i added the salt 10lb of it going by the label.

Red Sea Coral Pro

at the moment the SG is reading 1.050 which is far to high , i have the ceramic rock work in the tank now , and i switched the heater on and the current water temp is 71 F and Red Sea suggests a temp of 77F .
but i dont see the SG dropping to 1.023 just by adding the remaining water and the temp increasing by 6C

The temp would not decrease the salinity. You can maybe take out some of the salt water and replace it with fresh water to lower the salinity.

well what ever is happening the SG has dropped to 1.045 now since i last checked . so i will see what happens by the time i add the remaining amount of RO.

+1 reef. Swapping out the water in your tank will lower the salinity. When I set my tank up, I added less Salt then I needed, and then slowly added more till I found the happy medium. Much easier then pouring massive amounts of salt in and swapping it out with fresh water. Just my two cents.

well its finally filled .
not that i needed to but thought i would get some test readings , and try out the test kits see how easy they are to use and read.

SG - 1030 thats easy to sort
PH 7.6 ( will get a small powerhead to brake the surface see if that helps bring it up )
KH is 11 dKH so not to bad ( for now ) until the ceramic rock soaks it up
PO4 - 0.04 will be coming from the ceramic rock.

will be ordering 2.5kg of LR to help seed the tank.

and have a HOB to order and convert to refugium. also need to order a glass cleaner.

will stick pictures up later

should have cleaned the glass first lol.
water should clear once i have the HOB filter i will stick filter floss in it just until its clear. then convert HOB to refugium.

view from seat.
DSCF2843.jpg

DSCF2828.jpg

yeah , i am thinking in adding a bit more water.
as i am using my MP10 on reef crest set MAX to just over half way so dont really get big waves .
and at night it switches to night mode

So far you have done a great job on this tank...I think this is going to be a sweet reef tank.

ordered the HOB filter , only £14.99 in my money ... rated for tanks up to 120 L.
but i will just use it with filter floss to polish the water , get more trash / dirt out from the sand i cleaned so poorly lol.
then i will convert it to a refugium . should also help add a little bit oxygen into the water as its a waterfall return.

That is one reason I run a hob filter all the time on my tank. So easy to run carbon also. Some people dont like the look but It doesnt bother me.

i am waiting to see how it is set out when it arrives , as i am going to see if i can have it as a refugium and have a bit for a filter sock for phosphate remover etc.

nothing to show yet .
but been ordering more bits again lol.

I have the HOB filter on its way to me. ordered a big bag 1000 Grams of filter floss and i have decided to buy an ATO as well.
So i have bought a 5 L cereal container that will be my RO supply.
and i will order the ATO some time soon.

well my HOB arrived earlier today , and it is a good size BUT the pump is rated 600 L ph and even when turned down as low as it can go , it still appears to be to powerful as i was told the slower the flow through a reugium the better.

I am going to have to look at how best to convert it , because of the shape i might have to add sand to the 2 ends only and in the centre where the water comes in i could use phosphate remover in a media bag / sock.
and i am going to have to order a sheet of Perspex / Acrylic which wont cost to much , and just use superglue gel to attach it in place , which will work as its not to be water tight etc.

But i think i will need to contact the company and ask if the other HOB they sell are all the same size pumps for the hole in the base , because if they are then i will need to order a 2nd HOB with a less rated pump and use the pump for less of a flow through.

hmmm a bit of a problem ...

my water wont clear completely and it is more visible to the naked eye than it is on camera , but there is a haze to the water.
my HOB is full of filter floss , but the water returning makes to much noise i switch it off at night , i hope to put more water into the tank so the returning water from HOB has less distance to fall so less noise and less bubbles into tank.

but i switch off the HOB , and next morning the surface has dirt on it , put my cell phone led against the glass with lights out and you can see basically a cloud of dirt in the water / beam of light.

i washed the sand , but obviously not good enough lol , and it could also be dirt from the ceramic rock.

but at the moment day time temps where i live are to cold to make RO water as it could damage the filters , going by the RO units web site.
the LR is only there to seed , so there will be more room in the tank lol.

but here are the latest pics .
still not used to photographing under LED lighting.
DSCF2886.jpg

DSCF2887.jpg

Back