hitch-hiker

queenangel77

Reefing newb
I recently found a crab in my tank. It is very small and living in a bonsai coral. I cannot get a picture. It is all white crab with a dark brown stripe going from one cheek to the other parralel across its face. I cannot seem to locate anything online about it. Any ideas? I also would like to know if it is going to harm my corals in any way. Do any crabs harm corals.
Thanks in advance.

Hard to say without a pic. There are crabs that kill corals, fish and other inverts. Can you describe what its claws looked like? That's usually a good indication of whether or not it is a predator of scavenger.

Hard to say without a pic. There are crabs that kill corals, fish and other inverts. Can you describe what its claws looked like? That's usually a good indication of whether or not it is a predator of scavenger.

Of what i can see... It only has a claw on its left side right now. I could pull the coral out of the water for a second and try to pluck him off the coral. Will this hurt anything if i am quick about it? I could probably get a picture of him then. I looked on liveaquaria and couldnt find anything close to him. Is there any other ID sites that i could look?

Oh I missed that it was living in the bonsai coral the first time around. If so, it's probably some sort of acro crab, which are crabs that have a mutualism with the coral they live in. The coral provides it with shelter and a home, and in return the crab pics off mucus and detritus from the coral. Google "acro crab" -- there are tons of different kinds and can look different from each other.

He's good. Read my post above about how he helps the coral and in return the coral helps him. If your coral dies, he won't be able to live. The coral-crab mutalism is an amazing thing, you're really lucky you got such a cool hitch hiker. Most people have to pay extra for a coral that comes with one of those guys.

He's good. Read my post above about how he helps the coral and in return the coral helps him. If your coral dies, he won't be able to live. The coral-crab mutalism is an amazing thing, you're really lucky you got such a cool hitch hiker. Most people have to pay extra for a coral that comes with one of those guys.
Im very happy as well. I think i might have overpayed for the bonsai coral anyway so this makes it better. I payed 120 but it is very large bonsai i think. here is a picture of it. You know anything about these too? I cant find them online anywhere?

Attachments

• IMG00004.jpg
    IMG00004.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 316
Back