Hitch hiker!

sixx_ gunner

Reefing newb
First post!
I brought home two pcs of live rock and found this guy in the box on his back. Its about the size of the palm of your hand.
2011-04-30_13-17-19_29.jpg

What type of starfish is he? My tank is still cycling, do you think he will survive?:question:
Thanks for taking a look.

I'm sorry I can't help you identify the starfish. I would contact the LFS you got the LR from and see if they would keep him for you or give you store credit. I don't think he will live in your tank if it is still cycling. I'm sure someone will come along soon and post to let you know what kind of starfish he is.

looks like a knobby star ( Echinaster echinophorus) to me in which case they eat primarily sponges.. Different kinds eat different sponges so would be hard to keep.. but if it is you could try clam meat to feed it.. I would say bring it to your LFS, not worth the trouble anyway....

Last edited:
I would return him also. He might primarily eat sponges, but if there arent enough for him in your tank he might decide to munch your corals.

As a general rule of thumb, nobby starfish are not reef safe.

I have been digging thru many pics on the web and have narrowed it down to a Orange Linckia Starfish. He is up in the corner of the tank now, but did come across the front of the tank and some live rock to reach this new spot. He did have out the little sticky fingers all up and down his legs, but is all closed up now.
I only have live rock, dry rock & three damels in the tank right now. Is he safe to leave in there?

Last edited:
Now that he has turned over, here is a pic of his backside:
knobby.jpg

Thanks Bifferwine for the correction. I am new to all this and was excited that I got a pretty cool thing to watch for free.
So this is a knobby starfish then?

Maybe not a knobby... I'm not sure what kind it is, I don't believe I've ever seen that type for sale. I'll do some research on it today and see if I can come up with something.

indian sea star was my first guess....but they don't have all these bumps. THe knobby's I have seen have much larger bumps toward their centers.

Good! If you get an answer, please post it here. I'd like to know for curiosity's sake and for future reference. Sorry I couldn't help you out!

Here is her response:
"Thanks! Unfortunately, I’ve gone through all my sources and have not been able
to find a similar star that’s indigenous to the area around Fiji. My best guess
is that it’s something in the genus Echinaster, which includes a number of
“spiny” species such as the Spiny/Common Sea Star (Echinaster sentus) that’s so
common around Florida/tropical Atlantic. Adding to the ID difficulty is the fact
that sea stars can vary to a surprising degree in color and morphology, often
with localized variants. Overall health can also be a factor in that it can
affect color. Your star may have started off as a dark red, orange, or even
brown, etc., before it was transported. Please see the following links for more
information and photos of Echinaster spp. for comparison:
Echinaster sentus: http://www.sms.si.edu/irlfieldguide/Echina_sentas.htm
More Echinaster spp.: http://www.eol.org/pages/71494
The orange individual at the following link (listed as Echinaster echinophorus)
looks similar but I’m not confident of the ID. Basically, it could be the right
star with the wrong name but it does seem to point toward your star being in
this genus. At any rate, the darker red individual (see thumbnail below photo)
is more typical of the species. The other just doesn't fit – at least not to my
eyes. Also, I can only guess that if it is indeed E. echinophorus that the
photo must have been shot from within a tank since you’d never see this species
alongside what appears to be a Tridacnid clam in the wild (different ranges):
http://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/tiere/1072_Echinaster_echinophorus.htm
As far as how “safe” this star will be around your other livestock, I can only
tell you that if it is indeed a species of Echinaster, it could consume anything
from detritus and/or biofilm, to sponges, tunicates, clams or other sessile
invertebrates. Keeping the star healthy could present a challenge, but if you
wish to try, you might try offering it some meaty bits of marine origin (clam in
particular). Do also keep an eye out for any signs of decline so you can get
the star out before it causes any water chemistry issues.>
Thanks again!
<You’re very welcome! I’m just sorry I couldn’t have offered a positive ID!
Take care, Lynn Z>"

Wow you got a surprise mystery creature! Cool. I hope you can figure out something for him to eat though I would be sad to see him starve to death.

Thanks! Gonna try bits of clams as suggested. This ought to be interesting...LOL!
Do I literally try to hold pcs with a kabob stick or something ....or just kinda stick some pcs in there and he will find them?
It is really cool to watch. He was ALL over the tank last night...so I think he may be looking for food.

Back