HOB filter 10 gallon

jamestown478

Reefing newb
I have a hang on the back filter in my ten gallon that has no filter media in it. It is basically just being used to circulate water right now. I had that stupid spongey filter media in it but that lasted like 1 day before it got all nasty and worthless. Is there anything else I can put in the filter to help filter out the water and to catch any floating debris?

You can drop in some pieces of live rock or even macroalgae if you'd like. Just make sure to put a little light above it if you do.

Macroalgae is a beneficial algae for saltwater tanks. It helps reduce nutrients in your tank. If your LFS has some I'd suggest checking it out. With a 10 gallon tank though you might just be well off doing water changes and having good live rock.

Yea, basically, macro algae is something like cheato, which bifferwine sells on here and it soaks up nitrates and phosphates to grow but is not a pest to our tanks.

It just needs flow and a light source to grow and can reduce the nasties in your water very quickly.

Back