HOB skimmer not pumping

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
Ok I am no noob to the whole skimming process and have had my new skimmer for 5 months.

I did my water change yesterday and went to turn it back on and while I hear it humming it is not pumping properly, there is no suction and only a few tiny bubbles in the main chamber.

I have taken it apart and its surprisingly clean inside, the impeller spins just fine and none of the hoses or pipes have any debris.

I have tried blowing in the air valve but that just made bubbles in the tank.

Any ideas? Its been almost 24 hours with no skimmer now

Sounds like it lost prime. Turn it off, pull collectiom cup and fill reaction chamber until water comes out (inlet). 2 option, while running pinch off air inlet tube.

After taking it apart 3 times and trying to blow into the air hose I decided to suck the air hose and after swallowing a bit of saltwater viola it works!!

I'm sure there's a dirty joke here but I'll leave it alone. I replace all air lines in the tank every 3 months-ish just to avoid headaches like this. A 50' roll of air line is only like $8 around here

After taking it apart 3 times and trying to blow into the air hose I decided to suck the air hose and after swallowing a bit of saltwater viola it works!![/QUOTE
Can I just say, thanks to you, and a new impeller, I got my skimmer going again. I would have never thought to suck on the hose.
Thanks girl!

Back