Hot Water

newbeetwo

Here to 8 on the break
Hi me again I think my tank is getting to warm, it's staying at about 80 in the day time. drops to 77-78 at nigth. I think it's my new lights. I leave the lights on about 12hr Will it be ok to run them for only 8 or 9hrs . fish and coral look like they are doing good, but the water is hot to the touch to me. is 80 to hot. Lisa

does your tank has a canopy?? i had the same prob, i removed the canopy and bough a set of leg stand for the lights..that way less heat is tansfer to the aquarium..now temp is 79-78..

does your tank has a canopy?? i had the same prob, i removed the canopy and bough a set of leg stand for the lights..that way less heat is tansfer to the aquarium..now temp is 79-78..

I think I should try this then because I am having the same issue right now. In the day my water is at 82-83 and at night 80. I was thinking of taking my canopy off but was afraid I would more water evaporation.Thanks

mine are always 80 to 83 what is bad is having a big temperature change, change in temp can cause problems with fish and stress and some times problems with corals also. I think alot of fish and corals do fine at 78 to 84 and i've notice fish and corals seem not to have any problems until around 87 or higher. If i had i canopy i would make sure to installs some fans on both ends to move air through canopy makes a big difference. Not going to get away from water evaporation i would worry about keeping water parameters stable any swings in ph, nitrates, even temperature can cause problems even algae blooms.

12 hours of light here, pc's come on at 10' o clock in morning until 10 at night and metal halides come on from noon to 5 p.m. or six if its not real hot like in summer cause home cooling gets to be problem with 3 tanks going and 100 degrees outside.

In the summer my tank stays between 81 and 84 each day. Like Darrick said, large temperature swings are worse than high temperatures. As long as your tank stays within a few degrees in a 24 hour period then it will be okay in the low 80's.

canopy ???? I don't know whats this is My lights have leggs and I put 3' blocks under tham so the light ests 6' over the glass. ( new thing ) This morning when I got up and turn on the lights I saw whats look like to be ants in my tank I now there no ants but there alot af these thing all on the glass and rocks... they move fast so small I can't tell what they are. Anyone know??

there pods, most likely amphipods i got tons of them there good to have. there are many others like isopods, copods(mispelled), and amphipods, all are good to have free food for some corals, fish, and inverts.

I would remove the glass above your tank and replace it with eggcrate. You can find eggcrate at Lowe's or Home Depot in the lighting section, just cut a sheet to fit. This will allow better oxygenation of the water, won't trap heat in, and will still keep your fish from jumping out.

Those bug things are pods, like Darrick said. Yummy fish food. Good things to have in your tank.

removing the glass top will help tremendosly. my tank temp has been running 80 to 81 degrees. but, my water has been evaporating like crazy so i put the glass top on it last night to slow down evaporation. i came home from work today and the tank temp was 84.5 degrees! yikes! i removed the top and within an hour it was down to 82. now it's back down to 81. i guess i will just have to put up with the mad evaporation thats going on now. i hate summer.

Back