How big of a sump

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
Well right now im running 2 fluval canister filters and a hang on the back skimmer, im planning a diy sump refugium for my tank and i was wondering what size tank i would need. petco has the 1$ per gallon deal right now and i actually just got a 20 long for my geckos, its about as high as a 10 gl but longer and i was wondering if that would work for my tank or should i go bigger. they also have a 29 gl wich looks like it would also work pretty good.

Im planing on having the middle section as the refugium and i still want space for a skimmer on one side. Now when i make this sump/refugium should i make it with parts to actually put filter media in ? so that the water can flow thru it and then i can just replace the media like in my canister filters where i have the sponges and polishing pads ???

Are you going to be putting it in the stand, beneath the tank? If so, go as large as you can fit -- the bigger the better. You shouldn't have to use filter media in the sump. The basic design of three sections (skimmer, refugium and return) is what most people do, and most people do not use filter media in the sump. Some people will use bags of carbon or ChemiPure to polish the water occasionally, but you shouldn't need to use sponges and polishing pads 24/7. Filter socks may be necessary to catch detritus and cut down on microbubbles, but you'd have to keep them clean.

OK so then ill take messurments and see what i can fit down there thru the rear opening, the only reason i have not put in a sump yet is because the fron doors on my stand have a beam in the middle and i cant fit a sump thru the front, Unless it will be ok to remove this beam ???? its thin wood maybe a can take a picture tomorrow and post it up. If i can remove that beam then i would be able to get a sump in there asap. But if anything i guess i will go with the 29 gallon or bigger tank to make my sump, im guessing around a 4th for the skimmer section and a 4th for the return part and that leaves me half for the refugium.

Last edited:
If the tank is full of water i would NOT remove the beam that you're talking about. I removed it on my 180 for sump installation, but the tank was empty. Once the sump was installed we put the center brace back on the stand

If the tank is full of water i would NOT remove the beam that you're talking about. I removed it on my 180 for sump installation, but the tank was empty. Once the sump was installed we put the center brace back on the stand

Well i would understand if it was a center brace like yours but mines in the middle of the doors. So its on ither the left or right.

So you have two sets of doors, with a brace in between each set? I think you'd be safe to remove one of those braces, but replace it when you are done.

Yeah look here is a picture.

stand.jpg

I mean if i would be able to do it soon i could actually start on the diy Sump refugium this weekend.

Yeah i want to get everything done so i can start getting my tank back to its past beauty,

This is it when it was my cichlid tank.

crushedcoral.png

You should be fine to remove the center brace between the doors.

My son fell against my old stand and was able to push the wood between the sets of doors out, after that I felt like it was ok to remove it for maintenance but I would not take it out if its not already loose.

Back