How did I NOT just fry my tank?

Bifferwine

I am a girl
I was pouring top off water into my sump just now, and I accidentally knocked a 10" fan into my sump. The fan was plugged in, but not turned on. As soon as it hit the water, it turned on (even though it was still switched to off). Tank water flying everywhere! The fan was acting like a giant propeller! Afraid of electrocuting myself, I pulled the fan out of the water by the cord and unplugged it once it was out... Went into the next room and all my fish are swimming around acting normal.

Anything I should do at this point? How come they didn't all get electrocuted?

because the path didn't leave the sump. Electricity always takes the easiest path to ground which in this case was on the wire attached the fan. If you had stuck your hand in the water you probably would have gotten shocked, but since the electricity had both a path in and a path out, it had no need to leave the sump in search of your DT. The reason that we usually have trouble is that its usually a powerhead that goes bad in the DT then you put your hand in the sump and you become the ground or it finds a ground through another piece of equipment, and it leaves voltage actually being carried through the water. In this case you probably dindt actually have a short circuit, you just short circuited the internal parts of the fan itself which is what caused it to turn on. The breaker would have tripped if you had shorted the circuit

Last edited:
because the path didn't leave the sump. Electricity always takes the easiest path to ground which in this case was on the wire attached the fan. If you had stuck your hand in the water you probably would have gotten shocked, but since the electricity had both a path in and a path out, it had no need to leave the sump in search of your DT. The reason that we usually have trouble is that its usually a powerhead that goes bad in the DT then you put your hand in the sump and you become the ground or it finds a ground through another piece of equipment, and it leaves voltage actually being carried through the water. In this case you probably dindt actually have a short circuit, you just short circuited the internal parts of the fan itself which is what caused it to turn on. The breaker would have tripped if you had shorted the circuit

Thanks! That makes sense.

Thank god you didnt put your hand in the sump. I have been electrocuted bad before and it sucks. Not to mention you would have possible fried the tank. Oh are your plugs gfci?

Biff you sure have some bad luck. Is NDB okay. Better check on him. Living with you is dangerous! :mrgreen:

He is fine. Sitting right here watching movies. Per usual!

Thank god you didnt put your hand in the sump. I have been electrocuted bad before and it sucks. Not to mention you would have possible fried the tank. Oh are your plugs gfci?

No they are not. I don't even know how to do that... :(

Ok they arent hard to install. As a matter of fact I am sure a few of us could walk you through it. And your thread should be titled how did i not just fry myself. Go sit down and watch tv or something you used your luck up today.

Biffs like a cat.She HAD 9 lives.But burned through 8 of em right there.
Biff.You can make up some cords that have GFCI plugs on em.Then if something happens,it'll just trip on the cord.
Might keep you from getting hurt bad too.

I just installed GFCi plugs thanks to the Project5k's build. It was easy, just turn off the power. Basically, go to the Circuit Breaker box in your house Flip the breaker that controls that outlet. You'll know when you've got it, because their won't be any power to that outlet. Obvious I know.

I took the electrical outlet off with a screwdriver.

Cut the wires that are going to the original outlet. (There's no electricty)

There will be a black/ a white/ and a ground wire.

Strip the wire about 1/2" for the black and white wires

On the back of the New GFCI outlet there are small holes in the back(You can push the stripped wire right into these). (2 on the top and 2 on the bottom) 4 total On the sides of the outlet there are screws that you could use to hold the wire down (but you don't need them). They are gold and silver. (You only need 2 of the holes, you can pick top or bottom, it will make the WHOLE plug work)

Here's the easy part.

Take the black wire that you stripped and push it into the hole in the back of the outlet(You want this one in the hole close to the gold screws on the side)

Now, take the white wire and push it into the hole on the back of the outlet that has the silver screw.

(The holes won't let the wire come back out)
Reattach the ground wire to the green screw.

Put it back in the wall. You're done.

If you've got wire strippers it will probably take you 5 minutes.

Last edited:
No they are not. I don't even know how to do that... :(

Its just like installing a regular old outlet!!!!

Find the wires coming in and put them on the Line side. Find the wires leaving and put them on the load side. Attache the green or bare wire to the green ground screw and you are set. The good thing is that all recepicles down river from them are now protected also.

Biff, i thought you installed new plugs when you remodeled that bedroom?
As long as you have 3 wires (white, black and green) currently, the gfi outlets are no different to install. Actually, usually they are easier because of the way you connect the wires to them.

Biff, i thought you installed new plugs when you remodeled that bedroom?
As long as you have 3 wires (white, black and green) currently, the gfi outlets are no different to install. Actually, usually they are easier because of the way you connect the wires to them.

I did -- I replaced all the plugs in there. I also replaced the GFCI in the master bathroom, but I was not aware that you could just switch them in and out like that!

I will have to do that. Another project on my list!

and, i believe that if they are all in series, if you chose the first gfci plug in the series then all the ones after that are gfci as well

am i right or wrong?

You are right Brian. Just take a voltage tester and find the wires coming in and put them on the Line side then the wires going to the next receptacle on the Load side.

Back