how does this look.....

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
Is this the right idea ?????

sump1.jpg

Looks good overall, but just a few observations.

Why not have both returns go to the skimmer area, then have a wall to your fuge, then the three baffles, then your return. Would be less baffles and less work...

Also why have a ball balve on your return pump? Unless your return is overpowered and you want to dim it down a little.

I think the reasoning behind the center return is so he can regulate the flow through the refugium.

With the ball valve to the refugium, the flow can be reduced and that will increase dwell time in the refugium. It just diverts more water to the skimmer section.

The ball valve on the return line is good practice. How will he replace the pump when it fails? The ball valve will prevent the tank from draining all over the floor in the event he disconnects it to replace/repair/clean the pump.

I like the idea of a central return. It's a couple more baffles. So? Another 3oz of silicone and 2hrs of your time on a DIY project isn't the end of the world.

I have done it both ways and the center return works better. Make sure the return area is large enough, because that is the only place the water will evaporate. An auto top off is going to be a must have.

one more question. I'm not sure where the heater shouls go?? I wasw thinking the return area ? I have 2.... one for a back up ..

I think every thing looks good except for the baffles/bubble trap between the Fuge and return section. You should only need 1 baffle there as the flow through the fuge section will be slow and not generating bubbles.

I would plan on putting the heater in the return section.

just my 2 cents

i tried a setup like that and it didnt work very well

the problem is the water wants to drain almost completely into the first tee and the raw water going into the fuge really makes a mess

i think a very small pump in the return section with some flexible tube into the fuge would work better and you could control the flow better

also put a check valve in line with the return before the ball valve

and you can get rid of the ball valve in your drain line, it wont be needed

Last edited:
The ball valve needs to be moved to the span that drops directly to the skimmer section. It can then be adjusted to create a back flow to force water into the fuge.

when i did it i had a setup like hornet suggested
very similar to yours but with the ball valve for the drain below a wye connection and cut back, creating backflow to divert water to the fuge
problem was the raw water has suspended debris in it which settles on your rock and macroalgea thats in your fuge, creating a mess

i actually took my fuge out for the time being

you may be better off to run a small pump (35-40gph) from your return section, with a small piece of 1/2" tubing into your fuge then just let the water overflow back into the return section

you will be putting just as much water back into the return section as you are pumping out so it shouldnt be a problem and the water you are pumping into the fuge will have been skimmed first

heres what i mean, excuse my crude artwork

Attachments

• sump.JPG
    sump.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 270
THANKS ZOO, i SEE WHAT YOU MEAN. I THOUGHT I READ SOMEWHERE THAT YOU SHOULDN'T SKIM THE WATER GOING TO THE FUGE ?? THANKS FOR YOU INFORMATION!

you want as much raw water as you can get but the skimmer will not get it all before the water get to the fuge.fuge.jpg

the red is the return to the tank and the blue is the drain from the tank my skimmer is in the drain and the middle is the fuge

The ball valve on the return line is good practice. How will he replace the pump when it fails? The ball valve will prevent the tank from draining all over the floor in the event he disconnects it to replace/repair/clean the pump.

Is this how most peoples tank are set up? I just have anti siphon holes. :shrug:

Last edited:
cgoodman...the ball valve on the return line is to regulate the flow back to the display tank, mainly so you can restrict the flow if you are pumping more back to DT than you are draining

cgoodman...the ball valve on the return line is to regulate the flow back to the display tank, mainly so you can restrict the flow if you are pumping more back to DT than you are draining

Thats what I said originally. I was just curious about what RC had said. I dont know why anyone would only have a ball valve and have a chance of creating that reverse siphon.

Last edited:
i must have misread it
some people have a hole drilled in their return line above the water level
it breaks the siphon if electric fails

of course you right, for the 3.00 that a check valve costs, why not have one

OK....here is the beginning stages of the sump build

I finished the skimmer section and will let it dry then put the last divider in for the fuge section.

sumpbuild001.JPG

I will still build it with the middle section being the return but I will plumb the skimmer to put water from the skimmer section to the fuge section.

:^:

Back