How hardy are GSP?

bobby

I like to do bad things.
I had a demonstration speech in school on thursday so I demonstrated how to frag coral. Well I took my frags home and put them in my 55 gal to see how they did in there. So far they look great. The nitrates are at 20 to 40 and the lighting is a regular 50/50 NO bulb. I didnt think that light would work but they look great in there. Does anyone have experience with GSP under normal output lights? Mine are actually pink star polyps and not green but I doubt that matters.

In my experince with GSP,its easier to give them TOO much light than not enough.
Mine was doing great in my 30 with PC lights.But I moved them over to the 55 with the T-5s and they went down hill fairly quick.I moved them back into the 30 and their growing again.
IMO,I think they like the lower level lights over the high end light.

Thats what I thought because in my 30 they were pink and light in color then I kept one light off and they darkend to a purple and stated growing even faster. I hope they do fine. I have put two frags in the 55 one on a shell on top of the rock and one in the sand and both look good.

I'll bet that they take off and grow like weeds.
Good luck with em,and post us a pic.Maybe some pics as they grow.

My pink/tan GSP is on the bottom of my tank.They are growing mad crazy,overgrowing the green stars.IME,they prolly adjust to most lighting conditions but I not certain of NO florescent bulbs though.I might be mistaken but I think the tan/pink may need more light then the greens.

impossible to kill IME. I've tried Kalk pasting them and they come back. Same with xenia. I rip it out and throw it in the fuge and then it grows back. I've traded hundreds of dollars to the LFS from my $15 frag.

Well the one on the sand bed didnt go so good it ended up falling apart. The one on the rock is still looking good but doesnt quit look as good as it did. I think I'll have to add another light for it.

These are normaly under pcs, but when I brought them home I put them under normal floresent lights.

your floresent lights might not be putting out the correct color spectrum (nanometers) they need to survive, they are a low light coral but if they're not getting any of the correct spectrum they might not do well or survive.

Well the light is for saltwater and says it helps for growth of coral, so I assume its the right light.

Back