How high to mount lights?

No. Sure don't. If I had a heater wouldn't it make the temps even higher with the lights? Or how does that work?

With me fan its been a constant 74 or so. But adding the lights jumped it up pretty fast.

Assuming your planning on a reef, 74 is way too cold. Jack that up to at least 78 and try to keep it there, or within a few degrees all the time. 78-80 is perfect for corals.

That's what I figured. Alright any ideas on what type of heater I should pick up? Ill do that today. God I hope everything in my tank is still alive. I hate having to mess with this stuff without being there.

Any specific brands? For now I'm going to have to pick somethin up at pets mart.

I really hope my clowns are ok.

Well, picked up two last night. Temp last night with the light on was 78ish. I put my two heaters in the tank and this morning the tank was 78.

Called the wife an hour ago. Temps were 80ish. A little under. So looks like its going pretty good.

Thank you all for the advice.
Good week. Got my nitrates under 10, got my light setup(still need a new bulb), and got my temps situated.

And its been over a month since my last fish so tomorrow I'm gonna start looking.

Grr. Well called the wife and the tank is now 81 degrees. Lights have been on now for 8 hours.

From 78ish to 81, is that too much of a swing?

Capt mentioned my light should be higher, would picking it up a few inches help? Should I get another fan?

Thanks guys

Raising the light even just a couple of inches will do a lot to help the temps.
I wouldnt worry about another fan just yet.

I ended up raising the light a little bit, now 9" above the tank, the temps stay at 78-79 all the time. Hopefully that's not too high to place the light.

Back