How important is the glass covering a halide bulb

kmart189

Reefing newb
Awhile back my glass broke out from my lamp and I am having problems finding replacement glass. How important is it to replace it? I am running 2x250watt halides. I know the bulbs could get splashed and break, but is there anything else bad that I could expect from having no glass under the bulbs? Also if you know a cheap place to get some 1/4" thick tempered glass let me know please.

Are you running glass tops? The glass is important, it keeps the radiation out of the tank. Personally, I wouldn't run the lights without some form of glass between the bulbs and the water line.

clarify please, HQI or Edison screw base? double ended hqi's require a shield for uv and damage, if its a screw base (mogul) its big bulb is the shield and really requires no guard

Double ended hqi
so next question where can I get some .25" thick glass cut for it cheap? It is an odyssea fixture so I haven't had any luck trying to get it from them, but was unable to contact them directly do you guys have any ideas on where to get the replacement glass through odyssea? I know they suck with cusomer service.

it should be tempered but that only makes little chunks instead of daggers if it breaks, any glass shop can cut and grind it for you, cheap like dirt

When you say you've tried contacting odyessa, do you mean aquatraders? If not, try contacting them, I think they're the sole distributer for odyessa products.

You don't want to use regular glass because it may not hold up due to the excessive heat build up from the bulbs. The article it came from is below.

http://www.reefs.org/forums/topic45696.html

from Reefkeeping.com said:
Metal halide lamps have two basic configurations; those with an outer envelope and those without. In the former, the lamp’s basic construction (see Figure 1) is an inner envelope (called the arc tube), which contains the arc, and an outer envelope (called the bulb) which filters out ultraviolet radiation (UVR) and shields the inner arc tube. These lamps are typically single-ended (SE) and use a threaded mount to screw into a socket. The second lamp configuration lacks the outer envelope and typically has two ends (double-ended, DE) that need to be inserted into a socket, as we shall discuss shortly.
Double-ended lamps, on the other hand, are designed to be mounted in a pair of sockets, one at each end. Also, DE lamps do not have the large outer envelope typically found on single-ended lamps that is used to limit the lamp’s UV radiation. Double-ended lamps require an additional safety glass to be installed in the lamp’s fixture in order for them to be safe for your tank’s inhabitants.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/sj/index.php

Last edited:
I misspoke, I corrected my post above. Tempering does not STOP it correct but, the glass will filter out most of the UV.
It was something very confusing when hqi's came out after lots of searching it became apparent that a true uv filtering glass was way to expensive for this and I think it also blocks some of the light desired

There is a place off of Wadsworth that my husband had some glass cut for a window very cheaply.
He's out now, but I'll get back to you after I ask him!

had a thought? how big is the glass needed? you could look at the clear lens's used in welding goggles they are about 2 x 3 1/2 or 4 inches

aquatraders.com told me a price and everything and told me they would have to get it in and then they would call me it has been at least a month with no response still waiting for them I will try to figure it out with them today. $24.90 ea+ shipping. I am guessing I will have to go elsewhere since they suck.

Last edited:
All right... just kidding.
It's on Alameda and Sheridan. I don't know what it's called but it's across the street from the Burger King in that strip mall. I don't know how close that is to you... but maybe worth checking out?

Is this who you are talking about I called them told them the measurements said they could get it tomorrow... then there credit card machine is down and they don't want to cut the glass without payment, so instead of taking my info they wanted me to come down just to pay in advance. This combined with there horrible reviews no go. I found it at preferred glass which is closer to me. Preferred Glass | Request A Quote. I will let you know how it goes.
AB Glass
5105 West Alameda Avenue
Denver, CO 80219-1703
Get Directions
(720) 422-2611

That's probably it.
He just needed to get some glass cut for a window and said it was the cheapest place he found... he was pretty happy with it.

Good luck anyway!

Back