How Is your sump plumbed.......need some advice

garydm

Reefing newb
Well I was at lowes today and was looking to get some stuff to plumb my sump/fuge in...... well i was thinking I would use the clear plastic hose to plumb it in......The only problem is that it says how much psi it will hold and then under that it says "not for use for ice makers".......does that mean that it will leech out chemicals if I try and use it on my sump.......I did find a clear braided hose that didnt have a warning on it.....So how is YOURS plumbed up.........would just use pvc but really dont care for all the priming and glueing

well I found some barbed fittings that would work for my set up I just wondered about the hose selection........If I do hard pipe it in will the glue or primer have anyeffect on the water quality

I used that clear vinyl tubing for the plumbing on my tank and have never had any problems with it.Fewer fittings and glue joints means fewer places that can leak.

I've been using primer and glue/cement on all my PVC aquarium projects for the past 10 years or so and I have not had any issues with leaching chemicals. As long as the glue is completely dry ( at least 24 hours) before you run your water through it, you will be good to go.

PVC primer and glue is safe for our tanks. I have my 240 plumbed with PVC. My new 90 gallon is due to be delivered tomorrow (yay!) and I'm also going to use PVC for its plumbing. I think PVC is easier to work with, and it's much cheaper than the vinyl tubing. I have no idea why it'd say it's not to be used with icemakers -- vinyl tubing is safe also, and is commonly used as an alternative to PVC.

clear or braided, your choice, the chemestry of the 2 is almost identical, the difference, and the reason that it sais "not for use with icemakers" is because of the pressure of city water...

the hose isnt designed nor is it strong enough to stand up to that kind of pressure, thats it..

i use the clear for all of my return lines, and have absolutely no water issues because of it. the only thing that i will warn you about with using the clear is that if there is a good light source shining on the tube, algae will grow on the inside...

Man I brought home the fittings and the U tube overflow has a finer thread than the fitting I brought home.....Im no plumber is there a metric or finer thread fitting???? anyone ran into this with the drfostersmith u tube overflow
Man one step forward and 2 back

NDB used to live in that area before he moved in with me, he lived at Starr Pass. Then when he moved in with me, we lived at Speedway and Wilmot, so we frequented that Lowe's all the time. Now we're at Orange Grove and Thornydale.

I don't live in Starr Pass, unfortunately. I live in an old neighborhood.
You live a long way away from where you used to live. Why did you chose to live in the NW ?

It's closer to both of our jobs (I work near downtown, he works at First and Wetmore), and it's an all around nicer area of town.

but with pvc you have to get all the lengths and angles just right or you'll have issues, with the flexable tubing, as long as its long enough and not kinked, your done... much easier, if i ever redo mine again, (and its not drilled, or maybe even if its) i'll go with large diameter flexable..

what i will do though is that i will get large split loom wire harness and put over the clear tubes, just to hide them from the light and to make them fade into the darkness behind the tank better..

but with pvc you have to get all the lengths and angles just right or you'll have issues, with the flexable tubing, as long as its long enough and not kinked, your done... much easier, if i ever redo mine again, (and its not drilled, or maybe even if its) i'll go with large diameter flexable..

what i will do though is that i will get large split loom wire harness and put over the clear tubes, just to hide them from the light and to make them fade into the darkness behind the tank better..

for most of my line i just used 7/8 dishwasher hose and barb fittings and my drain is
1-1/2in clear that i spray painted black. if you have lights in there the tubing will grow alage like crazy in them. i found that out the hard way

Back