How Is your sump plumbed.......need some advice

yea, one of my return lines going from the sump to the tank ran right by my fuge light and it grew this super dense mat of algae on the inside of the tubing...

I just plumbed my new tank and used PVC for the drain, and tubing for the return line. Just a few feet of the tubing doubled my project costs. I definitely don't think it's worth the price, and after paying for the 1 1/4 inch tubing, I decided to use PVC for the drain because the 2 inch tubing was super expensive.

yea, one of my return lines going from the sump to the tank ran right by my fuge light and it grew this super dense mat of algae on the inside of the tubing...

all mine did that and it was a mess to fix so when i fixed it i spray painted all the lines and just the other day when i hooked up my uv i used dishwasher tubing. and it is heavy reinforced tubing i like it alot better than just the clear tubing. i did notice that when i cut the old tubing it was all hardned and turning yellow and very brittle at all the conection points.

I just plumbed my new tank and used PVC for the drain, and tubing for the return line. Just a few feet of the tubing doubled my project costs. I definitely don't think it's worth the price, and after paying for the 1 1/4 inch tubing, I decided to use PVC for the drain because the 2 inch tubing was super expensive.

i only spent about 26 bucks for all the fittings and 9 feet of tubing. i think it would have cost me more for pvc because i would have to add 5 unions just incase i would have to take it apart at sometime which seems to happen once a year or so

yea, well when i just didn my return i bought a bunch of parts that i wasnt sure if i would need or not, but i figure as long as i dont use them, i can allways take them back, and its better to have that one extra 90 and not need it, rather than not having it and that being the only part you need to finish the project...

I've never priced the larger tubing, but i can imagine its not cheap.. the 7/8-5/8 stuff i'm using for my returns is costing me about 6 bucks for a 10 foot length..

I agree with previous postings on the clear tubing. I set my drain tubes with the clear tubing and they both ran right by my fuge light. By the time I was taking it all apart for the THIRD time to sweep out the forest of algae growing in all the pieces, I tossed 'em and replaced with opaque tubing instead. No more algae in the tubes!

no i mean split loom. its a chafe protecting plastic tubular stuff that you can put over wires and tubes and stuff in automotive applications to protect against chaifing... but its available in colors, and different diameters... just look around online for it, look in auto partos stores, and i think home depot sells a small selection of it...

Attachments

• 080-523_s.jpg
    080-523_s.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 195
Back