How long can corals stay in the shipping box?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
I ordered zoanthids yesterday and they were shipped around 5PM Central Time. I picked them up from Fedex this morning at 9:30. The last time I got a shipment from this company there were heat packs in the insulated box. This time there are no heat packs, but the box is still insulated. I'm at work until 6PM Eastern Time and will not be home until 6:30PM. Will they be ok until then or should I sneak out of work, if I can, and float them in my tank? I really don't want them to die, but have no clue how long they can stay in the box.

Thanks!

They will be okay. Especially since they are zoanthids. Remember when Fedex lost my box of $500 worth of LPS corals? :grumble: Those were in a box for nearly 4 days, and only one died.

I also emailed the company and the owner Lisa said that deep water zoos are sometimes more sensative and stress more easily which could cause a fungus to form over them. She said it's a long shot, but it can happen.

How long do you think it takes to get corals from where they originate (like in the Pacific) to the distributors in the US? A lot longer than one day, would be my guess.

I also emailed the company and the owner Lisa said that deep water zoos are sometimes more sensative and stress more easily which could cause a fungus to form over them. She said it's a long shot, but it can happen.

There was a recent article in Coral Magazine about Zoas and there is a substantial difference between deep water Zoas and lagoon/shallow Zoas.

I recently got a 3 day shipment everything was fine except for the shroom and ric. They pretty much melted away. However, I stuck the little pieces of rock they were supposed to be attached to in the tank anyways and now there is a slight ressemblence of what might be a coral stuck to them. Hoping they may grow back...

Back