How long till LR dies

little_tuna

Reefing newb
Im going to pick up 25lbs of live rock from a guy off craigslist tomorrow and its a 40-50 min drive. Will the live rock make it back "alive" in a bucket out of water for that long or should i fill the bucket up with water?

Any suggestions?

Keep it wet if you can; covering it with wet newspaper helps.

It will take a long time before live rock will dry out and die. Think of how it is shipped in the first place -- from wherever it is harvested to a wholesaler. That probably takes several days. Then from a wholesaler to your LFS or an online retailer -- that's a couple days in transit there. It's not kept submerged in water that whole time -- it would be too expensive to transport all the rock in water. Then it goes from your LFS or an online retailer to your house -- most online retailers will send it overnight, wrapped in wet newspaper. It will be perfectly fine for the car ride home.

If it all doesn't fit take a garbage bag and wet down some newspaper real good with the Salt Water.

Wrap it in the newspaper then in the garbage bag. I transferred mine that way. Still had some die off so be sure you cure it before going in a tank with any fish/inverts.

If it all doesn't fit take a garbage bag and wet down some newspaper real good with the Salt Water.

Wrap it in the newspaper then in the garbage bag. I transferred mine that way. Still had some die off so be sure you cure it before going in a tank with any fish/inverts.

This.
You can double, triple or quadruple up the garbage bags. Heavy duty black yard bags.
The rock can be very sharp.

Ill try that. Right now i only have my clean up crew so ill probably take them all out and put them in a container to make sure i dont get an ammonia spike when i add the rocks to the tank

i just bought some pieces of cured live rock from the fish store which is a little more than an hour away, all they did was wrap it in paper towel and diped it in salt water and it was fine when i got home. feather dusters popped out as soon as i got it in the water.

Keep it wet if you can; covering it with wet newspaper helps.

It will take a long time before live rock will dry out and die. Think of how it is shipped in the first place -- from wherever it is harvested to a wholesaler. That probably takes several days. Then from a wholesaler to your LFS or an online retailer -- that's a couple days in transit there. It's not kept submerged in water that whole time -- it would be too expensive to transport all the rock in water. Then it goes from your LFS or an online retailer to your house -- most online retailers will send it overnight, wrapped in wet newspaper. It will be perfectly fine for the car ride home.

Richard at Tampa bay saltwater says the reason his rocks are really alive is because he keeps them in water at all times even when he ships it.

Once rock dries out ,or for whatever reason, the life on it dies yo got dead rock and dead stuff decays and will causes an ammonia spike. The wet paper towels is a simple but good idea.

Back