How many power heads?

JustKeepSwimming

Reefing newb
I'm starting a new reef tank for the first time (kept freshwater fish for many years). I have a 72 gal bow front. I've got a 20 gal sump and am planning on buying a Reef Octopus skimmer. The JBJ Oceanstream powerheads look good, but I'm wondering how many 500 gph powerheads I would need for this set-up.:sfish:

Wow, that's 4 x 500gph powerheads. So main difference I've found so far between freshwater and salt water is $$$$$$$$$$!

You nailed it lol.

Just keep in mind you're essentially recreating nature and making the inhabitants feel as if they never left the ocean.

I would like to see some research data on average gph turnover rate on the Great Barrier Reef.

You could buy larger powerheads with a few smaller ones, I use 2 koralia 1400's and 2 koralia 750's in my 75g. That is a little over 57x turnover.

I just bought the JBJ Oceanstream and I HIGHLY recommmend them, but for a tank you're size I'd go with the next size up that they make. I have the 500gph.

I have a 29g tank with approximately 66x turnover right now, to give you a frame of reference.

Back