How much "Flow"?

JBowden

Reefin' Housewife
So, I'm looking at getting a couple Powerheads to put in my 55 gallon, they're both 800GPH. I read somewhere that the water should be moved around 6 to 12 times whatever size it is (gallon-wise) an hour.

Is that too much...or not enough... or what?

Any help would be appreciated :D

Do you know what type of powerheads they are? That's the general rule of thumb for water turn over...You may want to consider going with more powerheads that aren't as powerful. You want to be able to provide adequate flow for all parts of the tank, if you go with more powerheads you can direct them easier so that you can manipulate the flow for corals that may like lots of flow or just a little flow... Take a look at the Tank Gallery and you'll see some different set ups and that may help you out

You also want to place them so that the surface of the water ripples...This helps gas exchange between the water and air.

Last edited:
I personally have a 1300 gph circulation pump in my 55g. At first I thought it was to much flow but with some readjusting the flow seems perfect. My clowns really enjoy it and all the fish do well in the current.

Back