How much sand?

aboswell

Reefing newb
I'm setting up a 220g reef (tomorrow), and cant decide on grain size, and depth of sand in the tank. Does it have to be aragonite, or can regular silica sand be used? Just enough to cover the bottom, or do I need depth? I'd rather not spend $300-$400 on sand!
I intend to have a refugium in the sump, with algae, live rock rubble, and live sand. Would that effect how much sand I need?
Any advice on the subject would be appreciated.
Any advice on where to get cheap live rock would be appreciated even more!

Andrew

With todays filtering equipment like good skimmers, you'll see everything from no sandbed, to 6" or more deep sandbeds. Lots of live rock or very little live rock.

Nowadays it seems it just depends on what look you are going for.
I still like to have 1-2"of sand.

You can use regular silica sand, however a lot of people believe that silica sand leads to diatom problems. It makes sense, since diatoms use silica as "building blocks" for their bodies.

Most of use a shallow 1-2'' sandbed.There are some people who prefer DSB which can be over 6''.It really wouldn't cost you as much as you quoted.100 lbs of sugar size or smaller aragonite for a 1'' bed run roughly around $120 including $5.99 flat rate shipping at the 2Docs.Of course,double cost wise if you want to go with a 2'' bed.Stick with aragonite sand,better buffering for a saltwater system.

For my 125, I managed to get it to my ideal depth of just an inch with just 1 40lb bag of aragonite. Cost me around $28 I think.

Don't forget to post pics!!

Back