How much water do I need when I upgrade?

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Thanks in advance for your help.

So I am trying to make a plan for our upgrade from 14 gallon Biocube to 40 gallon breeder. We have 20 pounds of rock to move from the Biocube and I am ordering 40 pounds of dry rock from Marco Rocks. On Marco's FAQ, they say that dry rock weighs less and the true weight of your rock will be 20-35% more than what you purchase.

Also how much sand do I need? I am going to buy some rather than moving mine. I will seed it from mine.

I am going to move my water over and of course add more. I just want to make sure I have enough heated to same temperature, at the same pH, etc.

Thanks,
Angie

I'm not sure if I 100% understand what you're asking. Are you planning on moving everything over the same day (livestock, live rock, water) or are you going to let the new tank cycle first by seeding it with bacteria from your tank?

In general, you want 1 to 2 lbs of sand per gallon. That will give you a 1 to 2 inch sandbed. As for water, I don't know. Rock doesn't take up much space and doesn't displace much water.

Dturner,
I am moving it all over but I am using new sand and I had read that I should seed the sand with a cup from my other tank. Also that by already having live rock, I should not have a cycle. I am using the water from my Biocube so theoretically it's like doing a large water change.

All I am trying to get a good idea of how much water I need to have ready so everything will run smoothly. The other thing I am trying to figure out is how much sand I need.

I have read how to transfer a tank and I have buckets ready one for coral, one for fish, etc.
Thanks for the help,
Angie

I would have 40 gallons ready. That way you know you have enough.

I would also let the new tank cycle. You are losing some filtration by removing the sand. Also, moving a tank will most likely cause a mini cycle. If you have the space, it would be better safe than loosing you live stock.

Why are there mixed views when you upgrade? Can I move everything over if I wash my current sand and more to it? I have seen people moving from 55 to 110 or even 125 on the forum and the advice was that it would be fine. Is it because my tank is so small that you would recommend waiting for a cycle? Also will I then cause another cycle when I add my current live rock?I have 1 large piece of live rock in my current tank that has coral frags on it.

Just trying to the right thing with the whole deal.
Thanks,
Angie

The larger tanks can do this a little more easily because of the amount of filtration that the LR can handle. They still run the risk of having a cycle but if there is one it normally will only be a few days.

If you can I would go buy another established piece of LR to add to your current system to make sure that it is ready to go when the transfer happens. This will allow more filtration to occur ASAP when you transfer. A cycle may still happen but trying to be proactive will help in the long run.

The best way to avoid any issues would be to set up the new tank with the dry sand and rock and seed it from the old tank, let it cycle then move everything else. I'm not saying it can't be done but there are risks involved anytime you move the tank around.

I am really not trying to be obstinate and headstrong and doing what I please. I would love to see the tank up, but more importantly, I do NOT want to kill my coral, etc if I can help it. There are always risk involved I realize. We have 2 small clowns and a red lipped blenny as well as snails etc.

My biggest concern is that if I seed the tank and let it cycle I will then cause a big cycle when I move over my big piece of rock that is my current tank. I have read to NEVER add live rock to a current set up and that you should only add dry rock. My large rock, 12 pounds, has toadstool, xenia, and daisy polyps that have grown onto the rock, otherwise I would just move the big piece and leave a few pieces in the current tank. My zoos are on a plug and I could easily remove it.

Is this a valid concern? What would ya'll suggest?I thought I had a plan and now I am rethinking it all.

Thanks
Angie

My biggest concern is that if I seed the tank and let it cycle I will then cause a big cycle when I move over my big piece of rock that is my current tank. I have read to NEVER add live rock to a current set up and that you should only add dry rock. My large rock, 12 pounds, has toadstool, xenia, and daisy polyps that have grown onto the rock, otherwise I would just move the big piece and leave a few pieces in the current tank. My zoos are on a plug and I could easily remove it.

This is only an issue if the live rock you are moving has died off. Then it can kick start a new cycle. If the live rock stays wet in your old tank, and then you move it over to your new tank, it won't be a problem. People add more live rock to their tanks all the time.

What I read the other day was that it is now being recommended to change out your live rock after a few years.... :shock:

Of course this was from the guys on wetwebmedia.com who have unlimited resources.

The only reason not to add additional live rock would be the possibility of adding new pests into the system. I think it keeps things interesting. :mrgreen:

After all the info/wisdom that I have received here, by reading copious amounts of info from a variety of sources, and I also spoke with Marco from Marco Rocks, I think this is a good plan.

1. Put dry rock in the tank with my big live rock. (I was able to remove all the frags from the rock.) Also add new sand and water. Along with pumps. Let it cycle. Test, TEST, TEST.

2. When we start adding to the tank, I think to add clowns first. Then the blenny.

3. Then add my corals, zoos and other softies.

4. When do I add my clean up crew, hermits and snails.?

5. When do I add my fancy banded serpent star and porcelain crab?

Is this a good way to go would you change order?

Thanks,
Angie

I am so happy I just put in my order for 2 hydor koralia 1050 pumps. Ordered rock today too as well as sand. Things are looking good for upgrade.

Now the process of setting up new tank is the problem.

As long as you introduce things slowly after a period of time that the new sand has had enough time to establish a decent bacteria colony, you should be ok.

Inverts can likely all go in at once...

I've read really good things about Microbacter7 and this might be a really good opportunity for you to test it out. When you put your dry rock and sand in with your live rock dump the bottle of good bacteria in there and hopefully it will speed things a long a bit for you. Test, test, test is all you can really do. The best way to stress-test your cycle after it's moving would be the table shrimp trick...if you see the ammonia spike high from the table shrimp with no other bioload or anything breaking down then you know that the bacteria colony isn't strong enough yet.

Back