How often to change GFO

tubz

Reefing newb
I recently got a BRS dual reactor and am running gfo in the one side. How long does it stay working before it needs to be changed out for fresh stuff?

Depends. I change mine every two weeks running Phosban brand. I bought some ROWAphos today and I plan on leaving it in for a month. Stuuf aint cheap I'll tell ya! 100ml for $19.00.

Well I changed it today, it has been around 3 weeks and I noticed that rust colored water was starting to come out of the canisters.

If you are seeing rust colored water, you are running too much water thru the reactor and it's breaking (grinding) the GFO down into dust.

Just a note on the ROWA, it is much finer than the Phosban. It's also suggested that it should fluidize more than the Phosban. Since it is fo fine, it takes a lot less flow to do so. It's kinda hard to adjust it correctly with the Phosban reactor I am running. Claims for this stuff read up to 7 months! It is also claimed that once it reaches capacity it won't release the stuff back into the water. Theoretically you could forget to change it and not worry about it.

Back