How Often to Feed Corals?

RIJohn

Reefing newb
I was just wondering how often people feed their corals?

I know some corals require more feeding due to the fact they dont photosynthesize?

I have been feeding my three corals every other day? Which is when I noticed the their mouths open.

I feed my corals 2-3 times a week..Except for 1 paly that I've got..He's my frankenstein project. I feed him everyday. (Because he's real close to where I put the turkey baster in the water. The thing looks like it's on steroids. The trunk on it is the size of thickness of my index finger.

I feed my corals 2-3 times a week..Except for 1 paly that I've got..He's my frankenstein project. I feed him everyday. (Because he's real close to where I put the turkey baster in the water. The thing looks like it's on steroids. The trunk on it is the size of thickness of my index finger.

So in your statement I am gathering the more you feed them the healthier and bigger they get?

You could feed them everyday if you'd want to. However, it could lead to water quality issues if you feed too much. Whenever I feed my fish I use a whole cube of frozen food, thaw it out, chop it up. Then I turn off my sump and just let the food circulate in my tank, my corals grab w/e floats by.

About once a week I'll either thaw out a cube of cyclops or rotifers and dump em in the tank.Sometimes I'll use Brightwells zooplankton.

Depending on the coral,YES.
Things like Duncans really do better with regular feedings.
Even though they get 90% of their energy from photosynthesis,they still like a little protein in their diets.

+1 Yote

My Duncan EXPLODED from 1 head to 8 in a couple of months! My Paly's seem to multiply faster as well.

I also use some zooplankton on Wed. night after lights out to help feed my acans, micromussas, etc.

Heck yeah those polyps that are grabbing some brine shrimp and sucking it down like it's a rootbeer float are growin like crazy.

Well thats go to know...

Just figured I d ask, I get bored at night and figured I would feed the corals instead of doing water changes every other night.

I only feed the corals that absolutely need it.Why add more nutrient then there needs to be.

These I don't feed-palys,frogspawn,hammer,candy canes,torch,open brain and lobos and basically any soft corals.

The only corals I directly feed currently and in the past are gonioporas,duncans,dendros and sun corals.

I feed my corals whenever I feed my fish -- about twice a week. I aim at the corals with a turkey baster, and the fish eat whatever the corals don't catch. Which seems to be 99% of the food!

Back