how to clear brown algae with eel

sigmundseamonster

Reefing newb
I inherited a 175 gal tank from an old roomie. Never really wanted to keep it but after two years decided if it's gonna stay I might as well domy best to maintain it. I added a new fluval 404, two new heaters, a skimmer and new light set ups. Have done progressive water changes to get the levels where they should be, a miracle that the the only fish, an eel has survived this long. Now I have bfown algae all over the place. I tried cleaning it all off, did a cleaning of the rocks as per the directions at the lsf and now it's back. What options do I have given the fact that I have an eel in the tank? Do I have to remove him and treat the whole tank or what? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

well most most reef janitors will help but will be a snack for the eel.Try some Chemi-clean.Also how often are you cleaning the canister filter out.The pad may need a good rinsing and carbon might need changing.Try to clean the pads at least every other week if once a week.Some eels are ok with fish they cant swalow.What type is yours.Do use power heads if not a few well placed one might get the water moving better so the stuff does not stick.If the algae was more green I say a large tang or angel would be a good addition.A large conch that doesnot get eaten bye the eel might help also.

Check out the helpful articles. on page one there are some algae articles designed to answer your question and to give you enough background to understand why you got the algae in the 1st place. once you understand why, you will be able to formulate how to get rid of it and to prevent it. good luck and welcome to the forum.

Back