how to get a coral off a frag plug?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
All my new corals are on ugly large frag plugs. I would like to place the corals in my rockwork within the next couple days. I think I can get the lps corals off but I'm nervous about the Acro and birdsnest. They are so small and delicate I'm afraid I'm going to break a branch off. How do I get them off the plug? Just snap it off and the base of the coral. I don't have any special equipment, is there some sort of housetool I could use to break them off? Also how can I get the zoa polyps off? With a razor blade? Can you put superglue directly on the underside of the polyp? Also can you put superglue on the sps base? I dontt want to harm the little guys.

On some of mine I sawed the bottom of the plug off to make virtually a flat plug. I have also gotten a flat head screw driver and gently hammered coral off before. I was told you can just snap it of per say but while trying I decided it made me feel better to use one of these techniques.

+1...just snap the sps's off the plug, and yes, you can super glue the base of them too. I've also cut the stem off the plug and left it flat.

Using hands to handle delicate corals ricks damaging it and I have killed a coral by manhandling it. With corals like acros you really need the right tools to hold the coral and cut it.

+1...just snap the sps's off the plug, and yes, you can super glue the base of them too. I've also cut the stem off the plug and left it flat.

+1 I do it all the time with no ill effects. The glue will stay attached to the coral, and come off the plug nice and clean. Just add more glue to the bottom and glue them in place now.

+2 Sen, the sps should stay on the plugs unless you have a drummel with diamond blade or some cutting tool. Zoa's you can usually just use a razor blade to get underneath the epoxy or glue, be very careful and use glasses just in case. (ive had some close calls)

I know it sucks not being able to get them off the plug but sometimes that happens. Its a bitch to get glued where you want it to stay. Once you get it to stay it will eventually be covered in coral.

Zoa's can be glued directly on their mat. Jus dont get it on where they open up. or glue them to your fingers....yes ive done it a million times.

Thanks for all the good feedback! So I have snap it off and use special tools to snap it off lol. Aren't sps slow growers and branching corals...I really don't want to leave them on the plug. That would look terrible. The zoas I don't mind much bc I know they will cover it.

Actually the acro will grow a base....but if it really bothers you snap it off, just hope they didn't do a good glue job to much damage and the acro could just die. The birdsnest should snap off easy...they are pretty hardy when it comes to sps IMO.

I was too scared to snap em off soo I made my husband do it. He used the flathead screwdriver and hammer method. Just gently tapped it a couple times and both birdsnest and Acro came right off. Glue and all. So happy they didn't get damaged. We even got the zoas off without having to directly cut the polyps off. He did although break part of my acans skeleton but he didn't rip the flesh. It's just a little wiggly. So I just left it on the plug and I think I'm gonna keep him in the gravel. Will the acan colony continue to grow if it doesn't have any rock to grow on?

I think you're right. I hope he didn't damage it too badly. I've been wanting that coral for a while. Nothing tor or ripped. He just cracked the corner of the skeleton...Im pretty sure it was the skeleton anyways.

Back