How to kill live rock?

Rainer

Reefing newb
Hi all, havent posted in a while, but ive been lurking!

Sorry for the misleading title, I just have a quick question....What is the possibility of live rock "dying" if I take it out of the aquarium to give it a good scrubbing? Im trying to get my hair algae under control and having a tough go of it.

would scrubbing it under tap water be a death sentence? I dont use tap water in my system, but was thinking it would be easiest to filter the kitchen sink off and scrub it under the faucet..

Freshwater will kill the bacteria on the rock. Whether or not it will kill ALL the bacteria that is deep inside the rock I guess would depend on how long it was in freshwater.

thanks a bunch, Ive already done that process once. Took all the rocks out of the tank and scrubbed them under the sink to get rid of hair algae. I guess ive wiped out my live rock, which explains the high nitrates i guess. Oh well i didnt pay that much for it, guess ill get tank back in line and buy a few new pieces to reseed it.

im also getting phosphates from an unknown source.

I use distillwater from walmart
buy saltwater (that ive tested) from LFS
drain food before i feed

not sure where else, but ive since set up a fuge and added some chemi pure elite to try and tone down the phospates, now to work on the nitrates.

I am waging a war with hair algae myself. I am currently trying a product called Marine SAT from EMPIRE AQUATICS. Seeing significant results. It's a reef safe natural bacteria that feeds on the same things as the hair algae. If I were you, I would order up the 32 oz bottle for 20 bucks plus 9 bucks shipping, scrub all of your rock in saltwater, and dose with the MSAT once a week for 3-4 weeks. That should clear up your problem.

Tap water will definitely destroy your live rock, and as you've found out, can lead to a new cycle and/or high nitrates. You kill off all the bacteria that your tank needs to convert the fish waste into less harmful compounds.

It's much safer to get a 5-gallon bucket, fill it with saltwater (or just use your old tank water after you've done a water change), and scrub each rock in that bucket. It'll preserve the bacteria and hitch hikers on the rock.

yea thankfully it didnt start a new cycle, my three fish friends have seemed totally unaffected. They swim around and feed like ravenous wild dogs, I just want to make the tank a much prettier place for them.

Back