Hydrometer readings and help with next steps...

sandman

Reefing newb
Hi I have a hydrometer with salinity levels and refractometer on it. I am not sure if it is working correctly. I rinsed it out with frsh water as instructed then I placed in my tank to get a reading. If i fill the hydrometer half way it reads perfect in the zone where you want the levels to be but if I fill to the top the needle pegs all the way to the top with max hydrometer reading.

My question is what is the proper way to read these things? My tank is cycling and live rock was just added yesterday water on Saturday. Any disturbance in the tank causes it to cloud very easily. I finally hooked up a power head and last night and it helped move the water around and clear the tank nicely.

After I learn how to read this what are the next steps I need? I have no idea what to do after this to get all the levels right and start adding life to the tank. What other tools or equipment do I need?

Thank you for any help I can get.

I always got inconsistent results with my hydrometer and quickly switched to a refractometer. Well worth the money IMO.

+1 x19...I switched to a refractometer (but in all honesty, my 3 year old hydrometer ended up having the exact same readings as my refractometer, but I felt better knowing my refractometer was more reliable)

my hydrometer has a refractometer side also. What is the correct way to read one of these things? Do I fill it completely with water? If so the needle going up indicates salinity levels are high?

Also I read after I add live rock and have my skimmer running this will help cycle, spike amonia then nitrite then nitrate. After it levels off I read to do a 25% water change, then add fish?

You should read this for your cycling questions:https://www.livingreefs.com/cycling-tank-adding-fish-and-corals-t26452.html

But a hydrometer and refractometer are two different things, what you are probably looking at is the two different scales. One is reading ppm and the other SG.

Hydrometers can go bad after a few months, or they may never be accurate to start with. Look at this picture of two hydrometers reading the same water:

Hydrometer.jpg

A refractometer can be bough on ebay for $20, and the calibration fluid for $3. It will last a lifetime with proper care.

When using a hydrometer, you need to smack it a couple times to knock the air bubbles off the swingarm. The tiniest bubble can make a world of difference in the reading. My hydrometer was 5 points low, but it was consistant.

my hydrometer has a refractometer side also. What is the correct way to read one of these things? Do I fill it completely with water? If so the needle going up indicates salinity levels are high?

Also I read after I add live rock and have my skimmer running this will help cycle, spike amonia then nitrite then nitrate. After it levels off I read to do a 25% water change, then add fish?

A refractometer is a completely different tool that basically does the same thing, but it's much more accurate.

Ocean Salinity Refractometer 4 Aquarium Sea Reef Water | eBay

Thank you all! I know it sounds like a dumb question but every day since the water has been added it's been going all the way to the top.

I tested again and it's still all the way up. I am curious and somewhat worried why the water is at full salinity after 3.5 days.

Did the guy sell me bad or over salted water that he made?

Are there any treatment chemicals I can purchase quickly to stabilize the salinity and anything else for that matter?

I just added a skimmer and a power head last night

Get another hydrometer and test it. Take it to your LFS and get it tested. Make sure that's what it is. If it is that high, have you been topping off with saltwater or freshwater?

Get another hydrometer and test it. Take it to your LFS and get it tested. Make sure that's what it is. If it is that high, have you been topping off with saltwater or freshwater?

Toda i installed the skimmer and I used Purified water RO to top off. I also rinsed the white layer of salt off the filter in wet/dry system, from water in the main tank.

I measured again just now and it has dropped to 38 ppt 1.028 gravity. So it is finally dropping.

I took the water to get tested. Nitrate is around 25 (lighter pink) amonia was around 10 i think (Lighter green color) The salinity was way more accurate on refractometer at 1.026 my hydrometer is not accurate at all.

I forgot to mention I also added charcoal bags to my filtration system to help bring the levels down. The aquarium store told me to have water tested again in a week and if it's good do a water change and add a fish or 2 to introduce bacteria.

Last edited:
You shouldnt be adding anything to help bring the levels down, you are establishing your biological filter and that is the corner stone of your whole tank. Take the time to make sure its properly established.

Also, you should only add one fish every 3 weeks so that the new bacteria can grow to handle the increased waste. If you put too many in at once, you run the risk of causing your tank to recycle.

Back