I can't believe my LFS said that????

Even better, the are coming out with a second one!
This first movie my daughter thought was cute...I had nightmares...So what the next one, little nemo in outerspace? Fish dont need air...its a no brainier Disney...opps sorry thats how the first one was made. And I have no idea if that is the premise of the next movie......doesnt matter I wont see it.

Sucks that these movies do promote bad pet-keeping habits, however, if it weren't for Finding Nemo, I would not be in this hobby today. It sucks that many would jump in and not do research, but I am luckily the research kinda gal.

That is a good point wontonflip--- that movie did turn a lot of people on to the saltwater hobby which is good but a lot of those people didn't take your approach. That allowed LFS's to exploit this new found interest.

I was at an LFS that was selling aiptasia for $5 a polyp

I saw that. We walked right out after that.

I was at a store picking up some additions to my CuC...
After I browsed the tanks for a while and saw that they had what I wanted, I went and found an employee. I told him I wanted a couple crabs and some snails and he told me "you know all the pretty stuff is salt water, right?"

This was the same store we spent ridiculous amounts of money in setting up our 150. I was beefing with them for awhile (they sell freshwater stuff, too) after I had a pretty significant number of people decide they were going to come see me instead of continue to give them business.

Ha! Erin I had the same thing happen to me when I went to get some snails at my lfs. It was one of the new girls working at the store. I told her the snails that I wanted and she told me that they were saltwater. Um duh thats why I want them! Lol

Ha! Erin I had the same thing happen to me when I went to get some snails at my lfs. It was one of the new girls working at the store. I told her the snails that I wanted and she told me that they were saltwater. Um duh thats why I want them! Lol
That's when you say "OMG, really and all this time I thought I had a fresh water tank:mrgreen:

I am lucky to have good LFS's who gave me sound advice. One time, though, one employee did say I could put a yellow tang in a 45g....but that's about it :)

Luckily I have a friend that works at that lfs and the manager always gives good advice. Its the other employees that need some work. I have even found myself giving some of the girls in that store a lesson on corals lol!

Sucks that these movies do promote bad pet-keeping habits, however, if it weren't for Finding Nemo, I would not be in this hobby today. It sucks that many would jump in and not do research, but I am luckily the research kinda gal.

I think the shows like "Tanked" are doing the same thing. People watch the show and have no idea that it actually takes time to cycle and fully stock a tank, so they run out and try to set up a full tank immediately and stuff dies. Duh.

How about half the stores labeling Ocellaris Clowns as "True Percula Clowns". I bought a "True Percula" but I really just liked his size and coloring, I know while I was there that he probably wasn't. Once I got him home and looked at him long enough I decided he was an Ocellaris, or hybrid. But it worked out because I ended up getting him a mate who is a rare black Ocellaris. They get along quite well.

Yeah tanked pisses me off. They make it seem like you can have a tank in a day filled with tangs and all. Makes me wonder how many tanks last for more then a week...

How about half the stores labeling Ocellaris Clowns as "True Percula Clowns". I bought a "True Percula" but I really just liked his size and coloring, I know while I was there that he probably wasn't. Once I got him home and looked at him long enough I decided he was an Ocellaris, or hybrid. But it worked out because I ended up getting him a mate who is a rare black Ocellaris. They get along quite well.

I think the difference between the two is that one has 11 dorsal spines and the other has 10 or 12 dorsal spines (1 difference, but I can't remember if its more or less than 11). Either way they are exceptionally similar fish.

I think the difference between the two is that one has 11 dorsal spines and the other has 10 or 12 dorsal spines (1 difference, but I can't remember if its more or less than 11). Either way they are exceptionally similar fish.

As Hannah said, they interbreed, so its not really a huge deal. You'd have to be a fish nerd to tell the difference

Basically, if that is the the worst thing your LFS has ever done, you are one lucky reefer

Well he also sold me a Cleaner Shrimp that sits on one rock in the same 4 sq inches and dosen't clean shit haha. He just catches food that floats past him. If he is in a friendly mood and I put my finger right up to him he will clean it but other than that he is a dud.

That's what cleaner shrimp do, they pick a spot and hang out there. They wait for a fish to come up that wants to be cleaned and pick the parasites off it. I've had plenty of cleaner shrimp but never a fish that wanted to be cleaned so the shrimp just hung out.

Back