I cant find my yasha goby

bluewhale9

Reefing newb
for some reason my goby was out and about for a full day then the next day he vanished I started to get worried and lifted up the live rock pieces to make sure he was alright.but... HE WASNT ANYWHERE so now my pistol shrimp and goby have mysteriously vanshed and my hermits for some odd reason. I only have two clownfish and a scooter blenny neither or any of the fish mind eachother or even bother with eachother. what should i do?

My goby and pistol shrimp, set up home under some rock, they also dug out the substrate and hide in there. I do see them a lot now, but I didn't see them for weeks when they were first in my tank. I can hear the clicking of the pistol shrimp quite often though, so I know he is ok, even when I can't see him.

My goby and pistol shrimp, set up home under some rock, they also dug out the substrate and hide in there. I do see them a lot now, but I didn't see them for weeks when they were first in my tank. I can hear the clicking of the pistol shrimp quite often though, so I know he is ok, even when I can't see him.

Unless it isn't the pistol you're hearing and it's a mantis.

okay I found him he likes to hide under a piece of live rock the quetsion is now where the hell is my pistol shrimp -___- any suggestions on howto find pistol shrimp etc. I dont hear or see it but from what i read and from what i heard from the guy at my lfs most likely i wont hear it cause its too small

honestly stop searching and moving your rocks around because you are stressing out your tank. he will turn up, or he will be missing and you will never see him. but you can do a lot of damage. I've had a firefish that was active for weeks go MIA but when i moved the rocks i killed my anthia, made mygf upset because she loved it. so just wait, you will know soon enough if he is ok.

Also, from what I've read from a lot of others that have yasha/pistol pairs is that it is very common for them to "dissapear". They love hiding behind rocks and under sand so it is very rarely that they even get to see them.

well i only have 15 lbs of live rock second i have to move it around when i clean algae off the rock or to rearange when i add rocks. plus I only have four fish and a shrimp and usually if not always i can find them .__.

Last edited:
my tank is relatively new so once in a while I get algae blooms and I havent completed my cuc because my tank is new and I dont want another spike

Sometimes I dont see my goby and pistol shrimp for a week at a time. I wouldnt move the rock around because that will stress the fish and shrimp. Also I wouldnt want to disturb the sand bed all that much. I would complete your CUC as soon as you can. Also a lot of new tanks get algae. Ive been battling it for pretty much a year.

its a randal;s pistol shrimp i have never seen a mantis shrimp that has red and white stripe and also it looks completely different and I bought it paird with my goby

I had a coupled pair once. Tiny things. Put them in my tank and NEVER saw them again. :shock: I guess they could still be in there but.....:dunno:

Back