I discovered a Nudibranch. Any Tips?

Tristan

Detritus
I just discovered a type of nudibranch (cuthona divae), about 3/4 inch long, slithering on my aquarium glass. it has probably been in my aquarium for at least a couple of months because that was the last time i added new rocks. Does anyone have any tips on keeping them alive?

If its been living for a couple of months obviously you are doing something right, besides adding in some food to your regular feeding schedule for it, I'd say you are doing pretty good.

thanks. does it grow big? Does it have special requirements for food? it went back into hiding again and Im probably going to have to get lucky to see it again. it was pretty amazing to watch.

a Veggie clip would probably make it happy, or sink it to the floor with a piece of LR. If its made it several months, its finding something it likes and eating it so obviously it isnt starving, if you saw it out and active that is a good sign its healthy. Try a few difference foods, see what you can entice it with. Record changes in scenery to your tank, try and log what effect it is having on things, aka, make sure it is not picking off corals (not that it would just an example).

Googling cuthona divae did not come up with anything concrete on what they eat.The closest is they may consume colonial hydroids.Possible that it has been feeding on those in your system.They are pretty,look kinda like berghias or even the zoa eating nudibranches.Most nudis are specialize at only one type of food and generally starve once they have consumed all of it,example berghias only eat aiptasia,lettuce only eat bryopsis.IME,once I see nudibranches on the glass,they are desperately looking for more of their source of food.They don't live long once ithe food is gone,week usually.

It makes sense that the only reason why he's on the glass is that he's desperate for food. hopefully he survives! I saw my lettuce slug on the glass a couple of times, but he's still alive and been in there since december and i dont have byropsis. I hope the nudibranch has the same luck finding a food source.

You couldn't resist posting could you Tucson...lol.

Tristan,I was on hiatus when you had that other thread.The pic is too blurry to identify.It doesn't look like a lettuce nudi to me,it's green so that's a good indication of what it feeds on,prolly some kind of algae.

You couldn't resist posting could you Tucson...lol.

Tristan,I was on hiatus when you had that other thread.The pic is too blurry to identify.It doesn't look like a lettuce nudi to me,it's green so that's a good indication of what it feeds on,prolly some kind of algae.

From that angle it didnt look like it, but when you look at the top of him you can see that its an elysia. when he was on the glass that time the top part of his body was closed up. now when i see him his body is all spread out.

Back