I got a Midas Blenny!!!!

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
sorry no pics

but I want to know from anyone with experience with blennies or Midas Blenny's in particular what I should watch for and what they like to eat. I have read they are herbivores and that slightly changes the way I feed my fish since I have 2 clowns and a Flame that are both omnivores and I usually get away with feeding meaty some days and greens the others. Now I have to make sure I get some greens in there each day. Also being this is my Midas's first day he is being pretty bashful and stays within a 10 inch radius of his hiding spot, should I try to target feed him?

A Midas must be one popular fish these days.I consider blennies more omnivores but they do love seaweed sheets.Mysis,seaweed sheets or any one of the frozen foods for omnivores/herbivores will do.

is it possible for a fish to get ich an hour after it is introduced, or is what I am seeing right now just sand from when it was digging out a hole? This fish was very stressed when it was in the bag on the way home from the LFS and turned brownish. I am terrified right now that it will kill this fish and my two clowns and flame.

It already had Ich and stress just brought it out.Blennies actually turn different shades depending on their mood.Try soaking the food with the Selcon you have.

Already did the Selcon thing, but just like newly acclimated fish my Midas isn't ready to eat much. This isn't helping the situation with getting it to eat more garlic and selcon.

didnt even read the post just hovered over it and the first thing i saw was "sorry no pics" immediately i was disappointed

Give it a few days to adjust. Like Freak said, try feeding it meaty foods and veggies. If your parameters are in check and you try to minimize stress, the ich should go away.

I am so sad right now and already picturing all my fish dead by tomorrow. Researching this topic produces so many different advice and results. It's like any way you go you most likely are gonna lose fish. I am going to try to have the fish fight it out, but if I get desperate is there a medication that any of you recommend?

I know it can be stressful. Just really stick to the whole Garlic/selcon thing. if you have a turkey baster you could even target feed the blennys area. My 80g got a little neglected because now i am temporarily storing it at my parents house across town so its tough to keep it up, but my lavender tang got ich.... i FREAKED. stayed with the program. fed the fish more and did a water change and it went away in like 2 days. just take some deep breaths and cross your fingers man.

Copper is the best medication you can use for ich, but it will have to be used in a quarantine tank as copper will kill all your inverts and contaminate your rock and sand.

Back