I have a 90g w/ 2damsels, 2percula clown and a yellow tang

devon9832

Reefing newb
I also have LR as well as LS in the tank. I wanted to kno what other fish could i add to the tank? I would really like a triggerfish and/or pufferfish or something along those lings. What do you guys recommend? I have 1 snail and one about a dozen hermit crabs.

well since you already have hermits in there i would stick to adding those and i wouldnt add any more snails since hermits tend to kill snails, also puffers eat snails if you do get a puffer, and you usually wanna aim for about one per gallon

You need more snails. Snails are the only things that will clean the glass and sand.

I would not get more hermits if I were you. Instead I'd only get snails from now on. About 2 dozen nassarius for the sand, and 2 dozen astraea for the rocks and glass will be a good start for a tank your size. Add more if necessary.

Oh yeah, the fish question.

Most triggers and puffers will eat snails and/or crabs. Triggers may even eat smaller fish, like your damsels and clowns. If you want to add more fish, I'd suggest sticking with one of the reef safe-ish triggers (they have the potential to eat those animals, but are less likely to than other species) such as niger, blue cheen or pink tail (I have a pink tail in my reef tank).

Oh yeah, the fish question.

Most triggers and puffers will eat snails and/or crabs. Triggers may even eat smaller fish, like your damsels and clowns. If you want to add more fish, I'd suggest sticking with one of the reef safe-ish triggers (they have the potential to eat those animals, but are less likely to than other species) such as niger, blue cheen or pink tail (I have a pink tail in my reef tank).

Oh ok, great. I was looking at the triggerfish, but i guess my tank isn't as big as i had originally thought. I just wanted the tropical look. I'm achieving that slowy but surely, i just don't want to over fill the tank, but i will get some more snails for the tank.

From my recent experience with a clown trigger, I'd say a trigger would be a bad idea unless it's a niger, or you get at least 150gal for it for when it gets real big. I fed my trigger a 2" goldfish once, he ate it in six bites, starting at the tail, chasing it all around the tank. They're real fun to watch, but also a big pain for their tendency to eat just about anything and they also like pushing over rocks and digging up your sand bed. Other than that, they're lots of fun!

Yea, i like the crosshatch trigger. I found a multi-colored one. I might go to the LFS and see what they got. I think i just want that and possibly a puffer and i would be complete. of course i would add a little more LR, but other than that... my tank would be complete with 7 fish.

My pink tail trigger is an angel. He doesn't bother anyone. And they are cute!!!

Any trigger will eventually outgrow your tank, but I think a 90 would be okay for a small one for a while, at least.

My pink tail trigger is an angel. He doesn't bother anyone. And they are cute!!!

Any trigger will eventually outgrow your tank, but I think a 90 would be okay for a small one for a while, at least.

Thanks again, Biff. Anyhoo, i intend on getting a larger tank in another year or so. I really want my last two fish to be a trigger and a puffer. Can these seven fish (damsel, clown, tang, trigger, and a puffer) coincide together in my tank until i get a larger one?

Yes, they can. But your cleaner crew probably won't fare too well :(. If you are willing to trade a cleaner crew for those fish, that combination should work.

Damn. what if i were to put other clams in there for the puffer to eat? Are there any cleaner crew that i could put in there so that they don't eat them?

In addition, I wonder if i am adding at a too rapid rate. I added the clownfish and damsels last sunday (8-25) and added the tang on saturday (8-30). I want to add more cleaner crew before i put the other delicates in the tank. What do you guys think? Can i add those two other fish now as well as the cleaner crew? Any input is greatly appreciated.

One fish every 3-4 weeks is the best rule of thumb. You can add your CUC as they do not contribute to the bioload.

i bought a royal gramma, cool fish, inexpensive and very colorful
yellow watchman gobies are cool
jawfish are cool
flame hawkfish
pygmy flame angel very colorful fish

oh something else thats really cool.....an electric flame scallop...i just got one and it really adds to the tank..not expensive either

i have been sticking to omnivores and herbavores, there seems to be less conflict

be careful what you pick though, i just got rid of 4 fish i bought without thinking about it enough and had to tear everything out of the tank to catch them and get them out...fun

also in my very humble newb opinion if you are planning on going reef, its the corals that make the tank look awesome, i have a 90 gallon also and it has only 4 fish in it, im planning on 1 more and thats it...im finding its really the corals that complete the effect

Back