I just got my light!!

EliWhitney314

Phish Head
The nova extreme pro (6 39 watt t-5's). But it says I have to plug it into a gfci outlet? Is that your average 120 outlett? Can I plug my light into the timer I bought?

gfci is grounded with safety trip. It has two little red and black (usually) buttons on it. If it senses a surge it shuts off and you have to press the button to turn it back on.
Can be bought at home depot and you just replace your regular wall outlet with the gfci.

And congrats!

As long as the timer is your standard three prong, it will work on your GFI. That are telling you that for safety.

I am also going to clarify dennis's explination of a GFI. It does not detect a surge in voltage or current. It detects how much current is going out and compairs it to how much current is coming back. If theese differ by a few milli amps, it trips. So say there is 5 amps of current going out to the light on the hot, but only 4 amps coming back on the nuetral, it will trip because the other 1 amp of current is either going back on the ground prong or to some other place.(Like through your body to the wet floor you are standing on)

You should have GFI's allong your kitchen counter and in your bathroom. Pretty much anywhere that there is a possibility of it being wet.

As for the time it take to change, Depends on you handyness with tools and if you know what breaker it is on.

1) Turn off the breaker
2) Test to make sure power is off (lamps work good if you dont have a voltage tester)
3) Remove old outlet
4) Put green or bare wire on Green terminal
5) Put white wire on Silver colored terminal
6) Put black or red wire(90% of the time in houses) on the Gold colored terminal
7) Put outlet back in box and cover on
8) Turn on breaker
9) Set the GFI by hitting reset button

It would take me mybe 10 minutes to do this. If you arent comfortable working on your electricity, get someone else to do it or get a GFI protected cord. It would work the same as the GFI

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/TRC-90033-Shockshield-Portable-Protection/dp/B000XVG72G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1266901010&sr=1-4]Amazon.com: TRC 90033 Shockshield White Portable GFCI Plug with Surge Protection: Home Improvement[/ame]

or maybe

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-02841-Tri-Source-Interrupter/dp/B00004SQGV/ref=pd_sim_hi_5]Amazon.com: Coleman Cable 02841 In-Line Tri-Source 12/3 SJEOW 2-1/2-Foot 120-Volt Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter: Home Improvement[/ame]

You might be able to find them cheaper at a dedicated electric supply store or homedepot but I just did a quick amazon search

No problem. I think that putting a GFI in is one of the first things you should do when setting up a tank. Might never need it but you will sure be glad its there when you do.

Only thing about the cords is that usually, when they loose power, they need to be reset. It is just OSHA regulations for job site GFCI's

Congrats on the new lights Eli..those should work perfect for you, and allow you to keep just about anything in your tank..

As for the time it take to change, Depends on you handyness with tools and if you know what breaker it is on.

1) Turn off the breaker
2) Test to make sure power is off (lamps work good if you dont have a voltage tester)
3) Remove old outlet
4) Put green or bare wire on Green terminal
5) Put white wire on Silver colored terminal
6) Put black or red wire(90% of the time in houses) on the Gold colored terminal
7) Put outlet back in box and cover on
8) Turn on breaker
9) Set the GFI by hitting reset button

It would take me mybe 10 minutes to do this. If you arent comfortable working on your electricity, get someone else to do it or get a GFI protected cord. It would work the same as the GFI

whats a breaker.

Its the thing in your panel that you have to reset when your screw driver hits the ground while you are removing the hot wire:mrgreen:

I sure hope you are joking because I didnt see a :mrgreen: after that post:mrgreen:

yes i was joking. i just said that because i have changed so many switches lights and outlets without ever turning the breaker off. and i never think of using the smilys.

Back