I just "love" plumbing issues

arkansasboy

Reefer Wannabe
I came home 2 days ago to some water on the floor. I spent the biggest part of today tracking down the source of the leak and getting it fixed. I was so pissed off at myself for not only missing the problem initially but also because of wasting so much time "fixing" everything else but the problem which wound up being the bulkhead fitting on the overflow. I KNEW that fitting should have been siliconed but I failed to do it when it was assembled which would have been so much easier than after it was installed.

If anyone building their tank is wanting to use an overflow be sure and seal the fitting with silicone or you may regret it later. Now I am letting it set up and cure so the tank can be restarted. It will be the first of many things that will need to be taken care of so I will chalk it up as a lesson learned.

That's definitely a pretty common problem, a lot of people have had to do the same thing. The rubber gaskets that come with the bulkheads are just not very good.

Hmm silicone is not very good at sealing acrylic like bulbheads and pvc, just because its so "shiny" and smooth, it doesnt grab as well.

I dont know really, maybe some sort of aquarium liquid cement?? But i have no clue.
Bulkheads shouldnt really rely on silicone, they should be solid as they are with the gaskets. Whats actually leaking?? Did you crack it by tightening it too much, did you use plumbers tap around the thread?

I dont know really, maybe some sort of aquarium liquid cement?? But i have no clue.
Bulkheads shouldnt really rely on silicone, they should be solid as they are with the gaskets. Whats actually leaking?? Did you crack it by tightening it too much, did you use plumbers tap around the thread?
I hand tightened only and didnt use any tape on the threads. The leak is the bottom of the overflow where the fitting is. I couldnt get my hand in the overflow far enough to try and tighten it some more so hence the silicone. I could have sworn the manufacturer(Aqualine) said to silicone the fitting after installing it.

Maybe. But I have seen so many people try to patch drilled holes with acrylic sheet and silicone, it just leaks after a few months, just because the surface is so smooth and shiny, it cant grab. If you rough it up though it works ok.
I mean silicone may work, its worth a shot. But maybe try solve it with silicone first??

you have to hit the acrylic with sandpaper. this gives the glue a surface to adhear too. just hit it with some low grit sand paper and run it under water to get all the fine particles out so they don't wind up in the tank, then silicon. should do the trick

you have to hit the acrylic with sandpaper. this gives the glue a surface to adhear too. just hit it with some low grit sand paper and run it under water to get all the fine particles out so they don't wind up in the tank, then silicon. should do the trick
I wish I had known that earlier before starting to fix it. I appreciate the info guys.:D

Just some advice to someone starting out with an overflow box. If that fitting in the box starts leaking dont, I repeat dont, try to patch it with silicone or else you will waste a bunch of time and patience and it wont do much to stop the leak. Your best bet is to siphon out the overflow, cut your overflow pipe( I used a Dremel ) then just take the whole thing out and either try to tighten up the fitting or you may need to replace the gasket. It might not be a bad idea to have an extra gasket on hand just in case.

As an added bit of insurance you could silicone the fitting inside of the overflow but just like the guys said before in this thread be sure and "rough up" the acrylic with some sandpaper before applying the silicone.

Back