I love My New Fish!!!!

Becki67

Reefing newb
I bought a Watchman Goby! What a cool fish.

Finally, a fish with a purpose. I don't know what that purpose is exactly, but he's a busy guy. We bought him yesterday and he's piled sand up against an entire rock, filled in the spaces between my live rock, dug himself a little cave, filled in the cave, and then started digging out the cave again. He's constantly moving around and digging something, burying something, or just moving sand around.

The other fish have been really cool with him so far. The clown just wiggles by him in a stoner fish kinda way, the blue ones just look at him and the tomoto clown is starting to dig holes in the sand with his tail.

If there is an aggressive fish in my tank, how long would it typically take for them to attack a new one?

How many of these guys can I have? I want more!!

how big is he/she and what kind of watchman goby. Mine is about 3 inches yellow watchman goby
PICT0037.jpg

if fish are going to be aggressive it would be within minutes of adding them. I have not seen my fish attack each other if it didn't start the first day. Wait, there was a possessed purple tang that killed a bunch of fish after a few months in the tank, but that was just one in many years. My guess is you would know by now

-Doc

I agree with Doc, fish are usually aggressive right off the bat. In general, most fish don't bother gobies. Can't wait to see pics.

Becki,

Keep an eye on your liverock. Make sure all your rock is secure and on the bottom of the tank rather than on top of the sand bed.

I have a bullet gobie and that sucker likes to dig!!!
I noticed my peppermint shrimp missing one day and couldn't find them.
After a few days, I went hunting. The gobie dug himself a nice hole under the rock and the rockscape shifted and pinned the shrimps between two rocks. They ultimately met their makers there.

Rockwork is pretty mobile, so keep a good eye out.

Congratulations and good luck with him/her.I agree with Biff and Doc,aggression wouldof shown up already.Not sure on adding multiple gobies will get along,I've seen several times they are sold as mated pairs,mostly shrimp gobies but seen online a few times they were watchmens as pairs.I would stick with what you have,they consume the beneficial fauna(worms,copepods) that live in the sandbed so I recommend only the one you have.

I'm a slacker...here is a pic of my Gobi and my Coral Beauty...quality isn't the best on the coral beauty, but he doesn't pose for me like the Gobi does.

Attachments

• gobi.jpg
    gobi.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 249
  • coral beauty.jpg
    coral beauty.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 268
That's some great coloration on the coral beauty! They're so pretty when they have some orange and yellow in them. I've had mine for a long time, so he's pretty much all black now :(

Great pic of the goby too. Good luck with both of them, they are great fish!

Back