I need a....

Rcchanlder

Reefing newb
i need some ideas for a algea eater that wont die from water temp at 79 - 80 degrees and will not eat my corals but likes the glass.

I don't think there is anything that will keep your glass clean. My snails leave "clean" trails that criss cross all over the glass, but I still have to clean the glass anyway. So they might as well stick to the rocks. The glass is just extra food for them.

As far as cleaning the glass, snails are like a handicapped blind maid trying to vacuum your whole house with a handheld dust buster.

Last edited:
Big trouble with the Mexican Turbos, IME, is they slowly boil in our tanks, are sloppy cleaners, and are more likely to fall on their back and DIE THERE because they can't flip themselves over again. They are more trouble then they are worth. Go with a lawnmower blenny that will kiss the glass of its algae and CAN flip his a$$ over again should he fall on his back!! :D Otherwise, stick to cleaning it yourself with mag floats and scrapers. YOU can flip yourself back over again, right??? :D

I like my cerith and astrea snails. They do a good job and seem to stay alive in my tank.

Ditto. I have both and they like the glass and back, so haven't fallen over yet. My glass and back are looking really nice. Yes they do leave "trails", but they eventually have gotten around to most stuff and I have very little maintenance I am doing with the mag. It grows fast enough to keep them fed, but not so much they can't keep up pretty well. Hermits have lots of extra shells so haven't gone after the snails yet. I think I found a good balance.....at least for the moment. LOL

(Hermits were playing house swap all night last night. Talk about kids with new toys!)

Back