i need advice

shades251

Reefing newb
my MH will be here tmrw for my nano reef. right now i have xenia, red shrooms, acans, and some green zoas. i want brightly colored stuff that isnt super expensive, every thing i have seen oline or in my LFS i like is really high. anyone have any cheap corolful frags they want rid of, or some good online stores? i have been on vividaquariums and i see alot i like but cant afford it. can anyone help???

I bet you have local reef clubs in your area (I know Chattanooga has a huge local scene). Local frag swaps are one of the best places to get nice stuff for cheap!

Your LFS doesnt have a 10-20 dollar frag tank?

Also, just make sure you acclimate your corals to the new lighring. Dont want to stress then out with too much light.

yes biff we do have east tn reef club but i dont know much more about it then that.

bj yes they do have cheap coral but nothing really bright colored like i am looking for.

i am wanting like candy canes, and well thats really the only one i want i can remember the name of, but that kind of brightly colored stuff

that could be a good chance i have three LFS the one i prefer doesnt have any candycanes the other two i dont like the stores at all. for example one of them has three tanks they will not sell anything out of. its a FS i would think they want to make money but no matter what they will not sell out of them and they are the only tanks they have with nicer coral

Maybe this will help you out.
East Tennessee Reef Club

Or when you get a chance,head down here to Chattanooga.We've got some nice stuff at Bermuda and depending on the mood the owners in at the time,I might even be able to get you a 10% discount.

Last edited:
Acans are nice, they have (usually) good colors, and as long as you get frags, they're fairly cheap. Also easy to take care of. They don't grow very fast though...

Acans are nice, they have (usually) good colors, and as long as you get frags, they're fairly cheap. Also easy to take care of. They don't grow very fast though...

They grow fast if you feed them. I feed my acans every other day. They grow new polyps on a monthly basis.

I feed mine every other night too...none of the lord's have ever grown, some of the bowerbanki's have grown a head or two in the two months I've had 'em :(
To feed them, at night sometimes if you look at the corals, there will be little tentacles sticking out of each polyp. Just squirt some meaty food (brine, mysis, etc.) into the tentacles and it should bring the food to the mouth.

To feed any coral is really easy, one step is to buy a bottle of photoplankton, the other way alot of us use is to get yourself a turkeybaster or eye dropper of some kind and just squirt some brine shrimp or bloodworms on them while their open and walla you feed them.:bounce:

Back