i need sump help

cfortin

Reefing newb
Ok I have a 55g tank with overflow and wanted to diy my own sump. I am having trouble trying to figure out what I need to use for a retun pump that will work. My sump tank will hold about 35g in total- including the return box, fuge and the sump. My overflow return is 1 inch and does 600GPH. I will have about three feet of head plus 2 y's. I would like to have enough pressure to supply circulation for the tank. What size return pump,please help???!!!

my overflow is rated for 600GPH and i use the Magnetic Drive 9.5 (Mag Drive 9.5) able to pump 950GPH, it's running full bore without any restriction. and it acts as a good powerhead once it enters the main tank. it's a quite running pump too. it's best to get a pump that'll pump more than what you need it too rather than trying to match it up exactly with your overflow rating. Then if needed you could restrict oh much it's pumping with a ball valve between your return pump and display tank and just close or open the valve a little according to how much flow you need.

thanks for the reply Is there any problem with the return pump returning to much and draining the sump, and if you put a ball valve on the return end, wont it cause back pressure .

it is possible for your return pump to run the sump dry if the overflow cant keep up. to prevent back pressure you can put a T in the return line before the ball valve so that the back pressure is pumped back into the sump. hope that makes sense.

Back