i think i have new tank syndrome

jimiboy67

Reefing newb
hello i am new to saltwater i always has freshwater i now set up a saltwater reef 55 gallon with 20 long refugium i started with uv seawater from lfs i have 60 pounds of live rock and live sand 5 inch bed in dt and 6 inch in refugium with cheato plenty of pods now the guy who sold me the water is a marine bio and said my tank is not going to cycle but some thing is going on he told me to put 2 clowns in the tank now after a week the sand and shells are turning brown and i have what looks like green hair algae i had t he water tested at the lfs and they say it is good that it is diatoms but i tried to blow them off with turkey baster but nothing i got a small cuc to help but i dont know if this is normal or not ?
:question:

I don't understand why he told you there would be no cycle. The algae is normal. If I were you, I would get myself a test kit and don't rely heavily on the advice from your local fish stores. They want your money. I would wait on those clowns. While they may be hardy enough to live through a cycle, it could shorten their lives.
Be safe and get your own test kits so you are assured of the results.

Welcome. I agree with the others. Let your tank prepare itself before you start tossing fish into it. I really don't think its worth killing fish to get you tank to cycle faster. Let nature(or man made nature) take its course. Give it a few weeks at least. Also DO get yourself a test kit and start testing the water a lot. Test for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite for sure. Also excess phosphate in the water is gonna cause some serious algae issues. That's most likely where the hair algae is coming from. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have(even if you don't like the replies) everyone is here to help. Good luck.

thanks for the replies very helpful . h I had my water tested and the lfs said that all reading are perfect . but i did order my own test stuff .he said also to just let the tank cycle and run its course for now . i am going to do that and stop worrying if i did something wrong . i will let you know the outcome thanks again

Welcome I am new as well. The people on here are pretty nice and extremely helpful. Be careful with advice from the LFS store. They tried to tell me to get fish when my ammonia was 0.25. I didn't bite.
Angie

Back