I want more algae...

Paste

I'm on a boat!
I got a lawnmower blenny, and he eats algae sheets and what not, but I have very little algae groth in my tank.... just a little bit of purpleish hair algae.

How do I get algae to grow in my tank?... do I need to "plant" it?

Don't ask for algae -- algae requires poor water quality (high nitrates and phosphates) to grow. And you don't want poor water quality in your aquarium. An algae-free aquarium is a good thing, and one of the biggest challenges for hobbyists is getting rid of algae once they start to get it. If your blenny is eating algae sheets, then he won't starve. He'll be fine. If you try to grow algae, you will be wishing that's a road you never went down once it gets out of control and everything else in your tank starts to suffer!

ok, well I hope that does it...
I got him to clean up the little bit of algae I had (and he is COOL looking) but he went through that in a couple days (I guess I didnt have much growing) and I have been dropping algae sheets on a clip and it dissapears (hopefully not just desolving) but I have never actually seen him eat it...

anyone got personal suggestions for blenny/herbivore food? as I dont want to lose him.

Try Emerald Entree frozen cubes. They are available at Petco, PetSmart and most LFS carry them. There is also an herbivore formula of Rod's Food, which is very good and carried by most LFS.

Back