I Want To Add Sand To My Frag Tank

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I hate the bare bottom look. I'm not running enough flow through my frag tank to keep the bottom clean. I like it kind of gentle in there because there are lots of frags that are healing after being cut and glued.

It's a 29g tank. Footprint is 30x12. I'm wanting to add a bed of very fine sugar sized sand to the tank. Very shallow - between 1/2" to 1" max.

How would you do it? Would you use live sand or dry sand?

My refugium is working fine and there's a nice DSB of fine sand in there. So I think that would handle any spikes. I kinda think it's safer to use dry sand and let it grow out naturally. The "live sand" we buy at the LFS is mostly dead sand imo and I think that would be more of a risk.

Thoughts?

Would you rinse the sand? How? How would you put it into the tank. Tank is full of corals and 1 damsel.

I added about 5lbs of Live sand to my tank not too long ago. I just scooped it out of the bag with a zip lock bag, then pushed the zip lock to the bottom and opened it up. Didn't make a mess and was easy.

I agree with the ziplock bag method...like you stated, you have a dsb and established refugium, so the dry sand should be fine, instead of the live sand. Just make sure you rinse it well. I'm surprised you went this long with a bare bottom, I can't stand seeing the bottom glass.

Another good tip is to take a length of PVC (like an inch in diameter). Put it in the tank, then funnel your sand into the PVC. That way you can easily spread it under and behind rocks, and minimize cloudiness.

I'm gonna buy about 30lbs of dry sand today. The local Petco sells dry aragonite sugar-size sand for about $5 - 10lbs.

Gonna have to squeegee or scrape the bottom clean. There's a layer of crud on the bottom glass. Don't want to cover that up and bury it - might cause a spike after it starts to rot from lack of O2 or light.

I will never do a bare bottom frag tank again. Don't like it at all.

I have used a long tubed funnel with a lot of success before. You can easily direct the sand where you want it. Just be sure it's dry sand and the funnel has a extra long tube. The ones from the auto store for oil changing work well.

Shouldn't the sand be washed or rinsed off first?

I think it should. Otherwise it's going to be a dusty mess for 2 or 3 days. Hate to rinse it in tap water though. I might dump it into a empty 5g salt bucket and swish it around with RO water. Then dump off the dust and refill the bucket a few more times. Agitate it and quickly dump off the dust before it can settle. Might take multiple washes to get most of the lighter dust particles out.

Probably a waste of time and RO water but I don't want a dust storm and I don't want to contaminate the new sand with heavy metals and nitrates right out of the tap.

I bought 2 different types of sand. 2 - 10lb bags of each type. 40lbs total sand.

On the left is Natures Ocean Premium Marine Substrate. It's fine white sand 0.1mm - 0.5mm size.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/239682/i/7/product.web
(^^ those are the specs on the 20lb bag but the grain size is still the same in the 10lb bag)

On the right is Tideline Natural Coral Sand. Not sure of the exact grain size, but I have size #3 and here is a link for comparison.
#5 Coral Sand 5 - 10lb bags / Tideline / Substrates / Saltwater / Dry Goods - Quality Marine

I was thinking about splitting the sand in half. Fine grain on the right side - under most of the light. Course grain off to the left and most of it not under direct light. Why? I'm just curious to see how the 2 halves of the sand bed will blend together eventually. Curious to watch the progression of all of it into one homogeneous mix as the CUC, water flow and tank inhabitants move it from here to there.

Any harm in this? Any benefits?

Would you put the fine sand under the lights - for the corals to sit on? Or would you put the course sand under the lights - for the corals to sit on?

Would you just mix it all together and forget about this stupid idea altogether?

I need a poll............. :grumble:

Last edited:
I would think over time the finer sand will work it's way down through the courser sand anyway. I think I would put the finer on top and let nature take it's course

I thought about that. I know that if I layer it top and bottom - eventually the top will settle through and it'll all be mixed up as one.

I measured the course sand with my electronic calipers. I measured about 20 pieces on all 3 sides. Length, width and height of each grain. I know ........ I'm bored. :shock: Average grain size is about 1.3mm - 2.1mm on the largest side. Most grains average between 0.75mm - 1.5mm on the cross section (average of the length and width) I know .......... I'm REALLY bored. :shock:

I was just kinda curious about splitting it left and right. I wonder if mushroom frags will root any faster in course 1.3mm - 2.1mm sand? I wonder if purple death palys will root faster in the fine 0.1mm - 0.5mm aragonite sand? I wonder which side the snails and crabs will prefer? Will they roam freely across the dividing line between the fine and course sand?

Just random thoughts.....

Rc you are turning into a scientist on us. But yes those questions you have asked I would enjoy hearing the answers to. Just remember the scientific method!

Only problem is:

If I put the fine sand on the right side under the light and roost corals there ......... who's to say they wouldn't have done just as well on the course sand under the same light?

I should just toss a coin tomorrow morning and put the darn sand in there. :shock:

damn rc, i love your spirit, you sound like your brain runs in all different directions simotaniously just like mine does... hehehehe

Back