ID - Pink algae? And possible Zoa help.

Bebop

Reefing newb
I need an ID and some possible help.

I've got this pink algae growing on one of my frags. I'd like to know if i need to get it out before it spreads.

(sorry for the blurry photo, it's hard to get a pic with this lighting)

My tank has been running on low light for about a week and a half. I currently have two 18w T5's that only cover a very small amount in my tank (they were purchased for a back-up tank).

Also, I have air bubbles growing where the light actually hits. I've read that it's just a precursor to hair algae, that true?

Lastly, the thing I may need help with is I think my Zoa's might be shrinking...I can't tell if it's that or if it's just the air bubbles making them look smaller, of if I'm just going crazy (the girl friend says they're bigger) but I figure it's better to ask to be safe than sorry.

Paramaters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
PH: ~ 8.0
Alk: ~240
Salinity: ~35
Temp: ~80 F

Any help is much appreciated.

Cyano, add flow, check phosphates. Blow the algae off with something like a turkey baster, and do a water change. Try to syphon out the algae you blew off.

Nope, don't have a test, i'll go out and grab one tomorrow.

Bastered the rocks, sucked out as much as I could (got most of them, just missed a few tiny pieces). I mixed some new water tonight, I'll do a water change tomorrow (I don't have room to keep salt water sitting around :/ )

Question for flow, I have two 450 power heads so, along with my return pump, I have about 1100 GPH flow in my 29g cube. Should I try to maneuver the powerheads to produce the most flow, or should I go out and buy another one?

Just move them around so that you get flow through out the tank. Most likely, that area was a dead spot, and you are experiencing a spike in phosphates.

Is there anything else that can cause Cyano? I ran my phosphate test and it showed a reading of 0. I'm still going to do a water change, but if it's not the phosphates what else could have caused the cyano?

Phosphates often read a false zero because the algae is using them up as fast as they are produced in the water column. If you put a plate of cookies in front of me, and I devour them all in one sitting, and you come back and see no cookies, it doesn't mean that there weren't any cookies in the first place. Just that I ate them so fast you couldn't get a count. ;)

Nitrates are also a cause of algae.

Phosphates often read a false zero because the algae is using them up as fast as they are produced in the water column. If you put a plate of cookies in front of me, and I devour them all in one sitting, and you come back and see no cookies, it doesn't mean that there weren't any cookies in the first place. Just that I ate them so fast you couldn't get a count. ;)

Nitrates are also a cause of algae.

Dang...I want cookies now.

One of mine is doing really well, the other I think is ok. I just got new lights so hopefully that helps!

Back