If I were to suggest...

Yes, I am using a new salt mix. However, my testing was done on the new mix after reading the threads on here about how they have changed and issues with Ca and alk.

Again, this is why I question is alk and nitrates are not inversely proportionate because, I agree, I should not have to be dosing alk in the manner that I am. The calcium seems to fit given what I am running, but not the alk.

Yes, I do have a skimmer. I don't know how much I trust it. Until now, fingers could always be pointed elsewhere. Now, it looks like they are all pointing at the skimmer.

I would love to do an in-sump like I currently have in the custom sump, but there is no room for one. So, I was looking at a reef octopus BH-2000.

Does that seem like a good fit for a 75g tank?

A tidal basin would be cool, though costly poksal :)

What skimmer do you have now, and what is the current size of your sump? Have you had your LFS verify your alk kit? Which test kit are you using?

I am using the red sea kits to test alk. I also work in a pharmaceutical chemistry lab and have used pharmaceutical methods to test everything but nitrate. All the pharma testing suports the red sea kits I have used.

The skimmer I currently have is a built into the sump sea life systems skimmer. I've looked at their website, and they are not selling anything currently that I can compare it to. They claim the skimmer is rated to a max of 75 gallons, as is the sump.

If I had to guess, sump size if probably 15 gallons.

Ummmmm... I am going to say not lava rock because I have no idea what that is; not to sound like a fool, but that is the truth.

The LFS sells it as live rock. I bought only from one place when it comes to the rock. They have it labeled as "Fiji live rock" ...

I'm incline to rule out the rock because the live rock predates the alk problem ... Unless it just takes time ...

Absolutely. See below. It's a piece of live rock I put in the tank shortly before the damsel to help kick start a cycle. I'm about +50 pounds of the same live rock now.

Sorry I don't have anything more recent. I stopped taking pictures when the algae got out of control on me.

Just an FYI...

It's been three days since I have dosed my tank with alk and ca. My alk has fallen 0.9 dKH. My Ca levels have remained the same at 360 ppm. This must mean that the gfo reactor has bound all the Ca it will bind and I can resume once a week dosing.

Still left with the alk tanking for no apparent reason aside from the theory discussed in this thread.

I have a new skimmer on order. If I find I am right, I will send the people in Japan an email that reads : oh plz!

:)

I'll post back here with the results. Skimmer probably will not be in until Friday... and ease on dosing the alkalinity like I am will be a sign I would think.

My new skimmer came thursday, which is also when I set it up. It really did not break in until sometime late last night/early this morning.

For having a supposedly working skimmer in my sump this reef octopus skimmer is pulling a whole lot of crap out of my tank. I think it's nearly filled the collection cup in 12-16 hours.

In the duration I have stopped dosing the tank with alk and ca. Once the skimming slows down a bit I'll start testing and dosing again to see where it is at.

But for now, I'm amazed with how much the reef octopus is pulling out of the water...

That's why when people that own skimmers like a SeaClone say things like, "It seems to work fine!" I say, "You think it's working fine until you see what a good skimmer pulls out!" It's pretty gross -- you don't realize how much gunk and crap is in your water! I'm glad you like it so far!

Seriously bifferwine... nearly two months of the reef octopus skimmer and wow... Still going strong. Still producing an amazing amount of skimmate. I'd recommend this to anyone who does not have room in their sump. I would also like to add, it is not nearly as loud as people lead you to believe.

Anyway, nearly 8 weeks with the skimmer going... and there is news to report.

I don't have to dose alk nearly has heavily as I have had to in the past. Actually, I am down to a maintenance does of 5 mL per week; it keeps me right around 11 dKH. I would say this servers to show a link between nitrates in the water and alk. The only thing that changed in my system was the skimmer.

The "meh" news is I still have to dose calcium heavily. I don't get it. Phosban media is out about two months, it should be saturated. Literally. I mean really. The phosphates have slowly started to climb (last weekend I hit 0.08 ppm for the first time. If it is as high this upcoming weekend, the media is being changed). So, no gfo binding calcium anymore I don't think.

What tipped my off to calcium issues was my worm brain coral started turning white... tested calcium again, and holy shit. I messed up and messed up bad. I stopped testing the calcium because it started holding... then, when the coral turned white, well let's just say it tanked. I mean really. 280 ppm I think. Anyway, the coral is still alive, and is getting better as I have been dosing again. Right now I am at 340 ppm. It's getting better, but has a way to go. The proof in the pudding so to speak is the coral is recovering as well.

One other "okay, I'm getting pissed" problem is the gha and bubble algae have appeared. Not massive, but it is there. Again, points to phosphate and nitrate problems. I think tomorrow I might by a nitrate kit as that is about the only thing I don't have.

Anyway, the reason to bring all that up is today I bought activated carbon and was planning to add some to my phosban reactor. The problem is, I don't know how much. I've read anything from 3 tablespoons to a half cup per 50 gallons.

Ummmmm... so like I'm a chemist. A range like that makes my butt pucker. Can anyone shed some light on how much to dose?

I run carbon all the time. I dont use any reactors though. A simple hob filter with the store bought cartridges that I change weekly. If I was you I would just add a bag of carbon to a high flow area of the sump and see how that goes before messing with your reactor. :twocents:

That's probably a better idea Ted ... seeing as how the carbon is going to need to be changed more frequently than the gfo...

Back