If it isn't red bubble algae, what else could it be?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I've got a rock that has deep red velvet patches all over it. In two spots, the deep red velvet patches look like a little bubble but the rest of it is flat to the rock. I can't get a good shot of it because of where it is placed but it doesn't look like the photos of red bubble algae I've seen. It isn't coraline algae, I've got that on another rock. It might look spongyish. Mostly it looks like someone glued pieces of dark red velvet to my rock. Any guesses at what else it could be so I can look up pictures? Thanks, Catherine

I think it could still be coraline from what you described. Coraline is not only purple but comes in many different colors. My second guess would be cyano as well. But best would be to see some pics, could be something totally diffrent.

I'll try again tomorrow to get some shots. I looked at more pics of coraline algae and it could be that. I've got some coraline that's a dark purpley/pink color. This stuff is just beautiful dark reddish black... I hope it's something nice to my aquarium, I would love to keep it!

I'm thinking it is red bubble algae. It took a while but I managed to pick a bit of it off. It was a tiny (about the size of the head of a pin) red ball. I was going to take a photo of it but I lost it. It sure is a lot, lot darker and tinier than any of the bubble algae photos I've seen. I know, a picture is worth a thousand words. This rock is right in the middle of the tank and I'm not able to get good focus through the bow and a shot from the side is blocked by other rocks. Next question, is red bubble algae bad? It's so pretty! If it is going to kill other corals, I don't want it.

Thanks, Catherine

The only difference between red bubble and green bubble algae,is the color.And of course,the red is kinda pretty.But its still not healthy for your tank.

Algae will not kill corals unless it starts growing on the coral. Then it can smother the coral or compete with it for light. But even if you think it's pretty, it gets out of control very quickly and you shouldn't have it in your display tank.

I have some dark burgandy red algae on a few of my rocks. I've never tried to touch it but it hasn't spread much at all in the three + months I have had it. It has no apparent bubbles but it does look like the rest of my coaraline. I have several shades of purple and even some neon green. It kind of sounds like what I have and it does look like crushed velvet. But no bubbles.

this is what red bubble algea looks like
i dont think you are describing this
i had the red velvet stuff on all my powerheads
the snails tended to eat it off, and it grew back periodically
but it didnt seem to pose any threat to anything

Attachments

• botryocladia-skottsbergii-2.jpg
    botryocladia-skottsbergii-2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,652
Last edited:
I don't think I've got red bubble. My stuff looks fuzzy but when I managed to pull some off it looked round. I'll try to get a photo. Got busy with work today.

Catherine

So today I notice that the red things are getting bigger and definitely looking like bubbles. Finally got some shots.
red-thing2.jpg

red-thing.jpg

how do you get rid of this stuff? It's all over one of my rocks.

Catherine

Definitely bubble algae Picasso.See what I mean from the other thread about battling different algae.Pull it out without popping the bubbles while it's just a few.

Back