I'm afraid of Franks....

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I named my very first bristle worm, Frank. Now every worm in my tank is called Frank. Anyway, I'm generally pro bristle worm but my worms are getting really scary. At feeding time all my rocks turn pink and wiggly. Some Franks are getting really big and I think I saw a few having a meeting to stage a break-out. I'm worried about my daughter! HELP, before we become a headline on the news "Wisconsin Family Missing After Franks Escape from Home Aquarium, Full Story at 5:00", any ideas about how to help? I can't have any aggressive livestock that might pinch or harm my slow-moving seahorses and I've tried those long skinny green traps (Franks just laugh at them). Thanks!

Catherine

Take some panty hose about a foot long and tie a knot in the end and place some food (almost any kind) inside it and put it into the tank a night. The worms get stuck in the hose netting and then pull it out in the early morning before the lights come on. You can dot this every night and get rid of a lot of them, but never all of them.

Wow, i never heard that trick before that's pretty cool.

My rocks use to have bristleworms. But i haven't seen any in my tank in at least 6 months.

Thanks David! I'll try it tonight. My seahorse tank is remarkably stable considering it's only a 26 gallon and I think it's because I have a good population of janitors so I would like to keep some of them but it's getting extremely overpopulated. I appreciate your advice! I'll take some photos tonight at feeding time.

Catherine

LOL I just got a picture of dcan going to the store and buying pantyhose:mrgreen:

I will have to try thes if my population ever gets out of control

I just steal the wifes :mrgreen:
But thats about the easiest method to use when you got to remove a few.

My Franks enjoyed your challenge.

When I first put the "trap" in my tank, the Franks were very excited. They surveyed the situation then somehow decided to become skeptical of their newfound fortune. After a group meeting they decided to send in the Village Idiot. The Village Idiot, totally oblivious to the situation, wandered in and got stuck. The other Franks realized immediately this was a trap and turned their attention to planning their mass exodus from the tank.

Thank you for your suggestion but as you can see, we are dealing with a supreme force of evil here. Darn.

Catherine

Get a "gold" coral banded shrimp (these guys stay small) He will eat them and help keep them under control. I don't think the smaller banded shrimp will harm your seahorses, you should double check to be sure, I keep one with dwarf pipefish with no issues.

Back