I'm Debating...need some input

Keaton

Reefing newb
I'm looking at skimmers and I have heard great things about octopus skimmers but they dont have a hang on model. That means I need a sump which i could probably make for a reasonable amount of money. I was also looking at the Coralife super skimmers which do hang on the back. They both run about the same amount of money on ebay (minus the cost of the sump setup). Is the extra cost for the sump the best way to go? Does my tank have to be drilled for a sump or can my lines go over the top in the back? I'm getting my live rock on Tuesday so I kinda need to get this resolved. Thanks!

my friend is setting up his 65g with his return lines going over the top of the back. however, he has the back drilled. it looks ugly imo, but it gets the job done.

You can purchase an overflow box that will eliminate the need for drilling a tank.

A sump serves so many more purposes than just housing a skimmer. You can move all of your equipment to it (minus powerheads), you can also keep macroalgae that will aid in nutrient export from the main tank and help control nuisance algae in your main tank. It will also serve as an area for live food to reproduce and feed your tank.

Most people in this hobby start sumpless but soon upgrade tanks and add a sump. If you get into it, you will end up adding a sump eventually. The Super Skimmer is a good skimmer, but the Octopus is better. It's up to you what you decide to do. Remember, you can always add a sump later on.

Back