I'm new to sw world & need help please =)

Mrs.Puff

Reefing newb
Hey guys, I am very new to the hobby and want to set up a saltwater tank with only fish.
All I wanted was a clown fish but when I went to purchase my supplies, sales lady told me this is all I needed. I went ahead and purchased everything listed below.
Just wanted to touch base with you guys to make sure I have all I need before I set anything up. I want to do everything right the first time. I know there are tons of posts on here about this very subject as well as tons of info on the web{{{sooo overwhelming}}} but I am soo confused with all the different tank types, need this for coral, this for this fish, that for that fish ext... I was hoping some of you guys cound condense everything here.

20g tetra tank kit
*in kit*20 g tank 24x16x12
*in kit* power filter w/ 125 gph
*in kit*24" hood w/light
*in kit* 3" fish net
*in kit* water cond.
*in kit* samples of fish foods
2x 10w fluorescent bulbs *she said they would be prettier than the bulbs in the kit*
submersible heater set @ 78*
Thermometer strip
power filter w/ 125 gph
20 lb base rock
5 lb live rock * not purchased yet
20 lb sand
power head 160 gph
25g oceanic salt mix
hydrometer
5 in 1 test kit
ammonia test kit
various decorations

I was told I need to set everything up, add water, test water with hydrometer daily, mark water line on tank and top off with fresh water(not salt) every day, 25% water change every 2 weeks(salt water), once a week test the water and when all levels reach zero(6 to 8 weeks) it will be safe to add fish.
Is there anything else I need before I start setting up and are her instructions accurate...did she add too much info or leave anything out.
Thanks for taking the time to read and thank you in advance for your help. It is greatky appreciated !!! =)

Hey guys, I am very new to the hobby and want to set up a saltwater tank with only fish.
All I wanted was a clown fish but when I went to purchase my supplies, sales lady told me this is all I needed. I went ahead and purchased everything listed below.
Just wanted to touch base with you guys to make sure I have all I need before I set anything up. I want to do everything right the first time. I know there are tons of posts on here about this very subject as well as tons of info on the web{{{sooo overwhelming}}} but I am soo confused with all the different tank types, need this for coral, this for this fish, that for that fish ext... I was hoping some of you guys cound condense everything here.

20g tetra tank kit
*in kit*20 g tank 24x16x12
*in kit* power filter w/ 125 gph - Not sure what this is
*in kit*24" hood w/light
*in kit* 3" fish net
*in kit* water cond. - Toss it
*in kit* samples of fish foods
2x 10w fluorescent bulbs *she said they would be prettier than the bulbs in the kit*
submersible heater set @ 78*
Thermometer strip
power filter w/ 125 gph - Is this the same as above?
20 lb base rock
5 lb live rock * not purchased yet
20 lb sand
power head 160 gph
25g oceanic salt mix
hydrometer
5 in 1 test kit
ammonia test kit
various decorations

I was told I need to set everything up, add water, test water with hydrometer daily, mark water line on tank and top off with fresh water(not salt) every day, 25% water change every 2 weeks(salt water), once a week test the water and when all levels reach zero(6 to 8 weeks) it will be safe to add fish.
Is there anything else I need before I start setting up and are her instructions accurate...did she add too much info or leave anything out.
Thanks for taking the time to read and thank you in advance for your help. It is greatky appreciated !!! =)

I don't see a need to test with a Hydometer daily, unless you are adding saltwater to top off your salinity shouldn't go up or down much, if any. Hopefully she stressed the fact that "freshwater" is RO/DI water, not tap water with any conditioners.

RO/DI water is Reverse osmosis water. You can purchase a RO/DI unit at a store or you can purchase it at walmart or your LFS. I agree with not checking your SG everyday. No need for that. Once you get it set right it shouldnt change much at all.

I know to many people wont agree with me but i buy all my water from my LFS whether its RO/DI water to top off or saltwater for a water change. Its just alot easier for me. They keep their saltwater at a certain SG, so i dont have to fudge around making my own water. Thus cutting out buying salt. I pay one dollar a gallon for RO/DI water and 2 dollars a gallon for saltwater.....it's a pain to pay for it but i think it works well for me.

Hi and welcome.....I would look into a refractometer ,and you don't need RO/DI water...i have used my tap for over 4 years.....especially if your only keeping fish..i do however have some mushrooms and hammer coral which seem to be doing just fine.

Hi and welcome.....I would look into a refractometer ,and you don't need RO/DI water...i have used my tap for over 4 years.....especially if your only keeping fish..i do however have some mushrooms and hammer coral which seem to be doing just fine.

A buddy of mine uses tap water.....he runs into alot more problems than he should and i chalk it up to usein tap water lol

Hello and welcome to the site...she gave you some decent advise. The filter is ok for now, but eventually you'll want to get rid of it because it causes nitrate problems. No need for the water conditioner, unless you use tap/sink water. But it is wise to not use it. It won't stop you from having a tank, but you will definitely have algae issues later on if you do decide to use tap water, which is why 99% of us here use r/o water. Again, welcome to the site, and feel free to ask questions and posts pics of your tank in progress...that's why we're all here. :)

You're right nemo, all tap isn't the same, some cities and states have decent water quality...you're not the only one here whose had success using tap, and we're not saying it's forbidden. My 1st FO tank was with tap water, and it was great, but when "we" decide to switch to reef tanks, then the past catches up with us. :)

Thanks guys for all your help....as for RO/DI water, I live in a very small country town. We have one groc store in town and a walmart about 45 min away. Either of these places have RO/DI water. I cant drive 2 1/2 hours(one way) to a bigger town every 2 weeks for water to do changes with. Will bottled water do??? I have no tap water here, only well water. So no choice but to use either well water or bottled. What would be best?
Also, what type filter do I need to replace mine with Smitty?...I don't care to spend the money I need to now so that I can get everything done right the first time around.
Thanks for all your advice =)

Wally world will defintly have RO/DI water. Im not positive about bottled water but i think no.....i'd wait for some of the more experianced reefers to answer that one.

distilled water is essentially the same thing, it's what I used up until I got my RO/DI unit. It's usually about 80 cents a gallon at WalMart

+1 BL1. Distilled can be found in gallon jugs at any grocery store or walmart. +1 everybody, wecome to the site. :smile:

Looks like all thats left for me to say is ,welcome to the site and the hobby.
While I do use tap water in my tank,I would not recommend it for most hobbyist.Especially if coal mining is big business in your area.

Back