I'm new to sw world & need help please =)

Thanks for all the advice and welcomes, I really appreciate it.
Got everything up and running now,used distilled water.
It's going to be a long 8 weeks, but well worth the wait I'm sure.

Hello and welcome to the site...she gave you some decent advise. The filter is ok for now, but eventually you'll want to get rid of it because it causes nitrate problems. No need for the water conditioner, unless you use tap/sink water. But it is wise to not use it. It won't stop you from having a tank, but you will definitely have algae issues later on if you do decide to use tap water, which is why 99% of us here use r/o water. Again, welcome to the site, and feel free to ask questions and posts pics of your tank in progress...that's why we're all here. :)

do I need to leave the filter out all together or go ahead and get a better one now.
I would rather start off getting everything right.
Thanks

Since you already have it, you could use it for now, just try to keep it clean. The issue with hob(hang on back) filters is that they trap particles, food, waste, etc, and these things rot, which degrade water quality, but if you clean it out and change the media every time you do a water change, then you should be ok.

I would recommend, based on what I have learnt here, that you should get a HOB (Hang on Back) Protein Skimmer, for the set up you are describing. Such as the ones linked below :
http://www.reefoctopus.com.au/v2/pub/products.cfm?range=5BD0A400-5A21-4D19-8421B3794D00261F
You could use the filter you have, but it will require constant cleaning at least 1-2 times a week, and if not done will cause problems. A Skimmer is highly recommended. I’m sure more experienced people will chime in with this recommendation as well.
Also you should start a thread in the showcase form and keep us in the loop with your tank, you will learn a lot of things this way that will help you along the way.

While Troy is right, a protein skimmer is a much better option for filtration than a HOB filter ... The only problem with using one of the octopus HOB skimmers is that the pump and return take up a lot of room, especially in a tank the size of a 20g. Personally, I think you'd be just fine with live rock and doing weekly water changes. That's all I do for my 28g tank and I haven't had any big issues since setting it up.

Lots of good sound advice. You see that everyone has their ways of doing things, and it works for them. You'll also get a lot of bad advice from your lfs. What I do to balance out my decision making process is take the advice, post on here, and get the various pros and cons to make my final decision. Trust me -- it's worth it to get advice from different people than from just one person, so you did the right thing asking here :D I mean, if a doctor told you you had 1 month to live, you would get a 2nd opinion, or 3rd even, I would hope?

Good luck on your startup and welcome to the site!

Back