"Im outta here" feather duster

Kat

Reefing newb
I bought a feather duster about 2 weeks ago, he seemed to be happy until yesterday. he actually came out of his tube and crawled into the LR. I watched him do it but dident know what to do, is he going to die in there?

Its proabably becouse he didnt like his placement. It could be becouse there was too much flow, or way too little, or maybe he was just getting scared all to often. You should test your nitrates though and make sure there close to zero, If there high then thats the reason.

Was the tube being pinched by the rocks? I've read that if the tube is pinched that'll piss em off. That and the flow- could've been something like that- Also read that if they don't go back then chances are it just wasn't happy with its placement

Lots of dusters take up homes in live rocks. I have seen some shipments of live rock that arrived with dozens of dusters already claiming a rock as their home. They are obviously better qualified to pick their own homes than we are. In fact the live rock mariculturing outfit off Key West is supposedly known for having live rock with large numbers of dusters.

Last edited:
In my opinion dusters are hard to keep alive anyway; at least for a long period of time. Their feeding requirments are hard to manage for some. They are hard to keep just like flame scallops and barnacle

Filter feeders are not difficult to keep, just feed them food specific to filter feeders. Pytoplankton is easy to obtain frozen or fresh. It is fairly east to culture but takes a bit of monet to start a system that is not prone to crashing. It does pretty much require your tank be heavily skimmed and have a pretty mature bio system to handle heavy feeding of phyto though. As phyto is pretty much fed a preparation of pure fertilizer in their water which holds them while being cultured.

Back